• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Terminating Employees is Tough

ams

Yesterday I had to fire two employees, my receptionist and one of my fabricators. I do not feel good about firing people and still feel lousy today about it. One of them had the most nasty attitude about it but I had to stay calm and try to be nice the whole time.Just kind of depresses you and ruins your day.

It's going to be tough being short staffed for awhile, but it's for the better.

Any tips for making firing go easier without acting like a total jerk?

StarSign

It's never easy, especially if you have to let them go due to financial reasons. It's a lot easier to get rid of the guy who drives you crazy!!!

Propaganda Ink.

Professional Propagandist
Keep it as non-personal as possible, regardless of your history, good or bad. Use cold vocabulary like "our employment agreement is being terminated". If they get emotional, don't feed it. Say as little as possible and ask if they have any questions. And for the love of Thomas Knoll, do not, EVER have your subordinates do it for you. I was let go about 8 years ago when the recession hit, but 'the boss' passed the buck. I told her to tell him that he is a coward for not doing it himself. They had my paycheck for that pay-period sitting in his desk drawer the entire day. I showed up for work and everyone treated me like a normal day until... 4:50 PM. "Hey, can we see you in the office for a sec?". Dick move.

Turns out, I find from friends that still worked there, he had just just finalized plans for a kitchen renovation for his wife... suspiciously in the ballpark of my annual pay... hrmmm...

Also, ask them if they have any questions and inform them about their final paychecks, etc.

Last edited:

Billct2

It's best if the the termination is at the end of a series of warnings...so it's not a shock. It may also help to keep from taking a hit when they try to collect, although around here it's almost impossible to fight an unemployment claim. But there are situations where it should be immediate. I had one employee who I found out was complaining that he wasn't getting to design enough and that he thought he might hurt his back installing. He was hired to do both. This was after only a month or two. I was concerned he may "get hurt" if he got any warning, so I let him go with a severance check. I wish I never had to let anyone go, but it's inevitable.

2B

list the reasons for the termination and give it to them.

Most people rarely are able to remember during emotional events, this way they can try and improve for the job.

• Agree
Reactions: T_K

brycesteiner

I just let somebody go too. Too many mistakes and they just didn't care. I hated it but I kept them on 5 months longer than I should have. It's funny how after a month you can tell if someone is going to work out, but then you keep them on because you think they will get better, yet they don't.

ams

I just let somebody go too. Too many mistakes and they just didn't care. I hated it but I kept them on 5 months longer than I should have. It's funny how after a month you can tell if someone is going to work out, but then you keep them on because you think they will get better, yet they don't.

Exactly, I kept them on way too long.

brycesteiner

"I just don't think we are a good fit for you. I'm sorry. By the way, here is your final paycheck. Let me get the door for you."

I think this is what I used. Dragging it out just gets emotional if you have invested much time in them.

Last edited:

billsines

Did you have to fire for financial reasons? Or they just were not a good fit? Misconduct?

If misconduct you need to have a policy in place that they were made aware of at the beginning and document all your warnings. I know it's a huge hassle, but you basically have to document everything to protect yourself.

As for feeling bad about it, yes I know that's hard, but think about it from another angle: it was positive for the health of the company. It was positive for employee morale and shop atmosphere. Reduction in your stress level. It's like a cancerous tumor: gotta cut it out. Yeah the surgery hurts bad, but what if you leave the tumor there?

brycesteiner

Did you have to fire for financial reasons? Or they just were not a good fit? Misconduct?

If misconduct you need to have a policy in place that they were made aware of at the beginning and document all your warnings. I know it's a huge hassle, but you basically have to document everything to protect yourself.

As for feeling bad about it, yes I know that's hard, but think about it from another angle: it was positive for the health of the company. It was positive for employee morale and shop atmosphere. Reduction in your stress level. It's like a cancerous tumor: gotta cut it out. Yeah the surgery hurts bad, but what if you leave the tumor there?

That's true. Everyone else here was getting upset and the stress was high because of the constant rechecking their work on the computer. Mistakes that should never have happened, customer not gotten back with, etc.

pbrgraphics

If you state has "employment at will" and your employee handbook states this you do not have to give any reason for firing someone (and the employee has sign the page saying they received the handbook). Just as they can quit for any reason or no reason. Employment law is VERY state specific. It's best to take the time to talk to your lawyer about having a process for terminating employees. It could be as simple as having a form letter that states their employment is being terminated on this date and they are obligated to return any company property (keys, tools, customer & price list, vehicle, and so on), when their final paycheck will be issued and that you'll mail it to them or they can pickup, and explains how to access their COBRA health ins benefits. You can have a separate letter that offers them a week or two pay as severance in agreement for not bringing any claims against you. Again, talk to your lawyer BEFORE firing someone the first time so you can have a process in place. Don't fire them and cross your fingers hoping their are no repercussions. Employment law is VERY state specific - the only advice you should take from us on the internet is to "talk to your lawyer".

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
It's best if the the termination is at the end of a series of warnings...so it's not a shock. It may also help to keep from taking a hit when they try to collect, although around here it's almost impossible to fight an unemployment claim. But there are situations where it should be immediate. I had one employee who I found out was complaining that he wasn't getting to design enough and that he thought he might hurt his back installing. He was hired to do both. This was after only a month or two. I was concerned he may "get hurt" if he got any warning, so I let him go with a severance check. I wish I never had to let anyone go, but it's inevitable.

Well put. I was told once "You [The owner] don't have to be the hammer, let the employee be their own hammer"

Establish objective, straight forward requirements for what needs to change, and a specific date those changes need to happen by. Ask them if they think they can do it. If they say yes, let them try. If they say no then ask them for their input on what's possible and decide if that will be enough. Don't sugarcoat it, but don't set them up for failure either.

If they don't meet those requirements, it's alot more pragmatic. "Johnny, you didn't meet the requirements we both agreed to a month ago, you know what this means. We're going to let you go. I wish you the best of luck."

Something else I feel helps is to have an offer for them when you terminate. Either a severance check or even better yet, a truthful letter of recommendation - if you can write one. I have had to let a few people go that I respect greatly. I was just unable to lead them correctly, or we had different views on where we were headed.

mark galoob

i always give 2 options...1. we can terminate your employment and give a not rehirable answer to anyone who calls. or 2. let the employee quit, with a nice letter of recommendation from you...most will choose to quit...you dont ever have to rehire them, but it lets them move on with their lives and continue to make a living, and most importantly, they wont be eligible for unemployment...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have been in charge of firing and hiring....

I don't mind firing an employee if they have a bad attitude or misrepresent themselves...

What bothers me is hiring the wrong person, and then having to let them go. I failed my employer, the candidate and did not perform my job as well as I should have. I believe - after working at quite a sign shops - that most of us hire the wrong person.

Christian @ 2CT Media

i always give 2 options...1. we can terminate your employment and give a not rehirable answer to anyone who calls. or 2. let the employee quit, with a nice letter of recommendation from you...most will choose to quit...you dont ever have to rehire them, but it lets them move on with their lives and continue to make a living, and most importantly, they wont be eligible for unemployment...

This is very illegal in many states and federally, 1 you can't share specifics of a termination with potential employers and 2 you can't coerce them to "quit" to avoid unemployment. I'm sure this being posted in the open as a tactic can come back to bite you if you get a disgruntled ex employee who decides to become litigious.

ams

Both had several misconducts, but one was mainly let go due to being very rude and demanding with customers and giving wrong information. The others main thing was he was untrainable, super lazy soaking up the time clock and I had to tell him several times the same thing before he understood.

ams

If you state has "employment at will" and your employee handbook states this you do not have to give any reason for firing someone (and the employee has sign the page saying they received the handbook). Just as they can quit for any reason or no reason. Employment law is VERY state specific. It's best to take the time to talk to your lawyer about having a process for terminating employees. It could be as simple as having a form letter that states their employment is being terminated on this date and they are obligated to return any company property (keys, tools, customer & price list, vehicle, and so on), when their final paycheck will be issued and that you'll mail it to them or they can pickup, and explains how to access their COBRA health ins benefits. You can have a separate letter that offers them a week or two pay as severance in agreement for not bringing any claims against you. Again, talk to your lawyer BEFORE firing someone the first time so you can have a process in place. Don't fire them and cross your fingers hoping their are no repercussions. Employment law is VERY state specific - the only advice you should take from us on the internet is to "talk to your lawyer".

I have an employee handbook that all new employees read and sign. My state is a "At will" state so I don't have to give a reason. I provide a couple verbal warnings, then a written final warning and then termination. Which at the time of the termination I give them a termination letter and sign it.

Johnny Best

And right below this thread at the bottom where it reads "Similar Threads" you (ams) have a thread "Employees Are The Worst".