• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Gandi is back Pred8tor

cwb143

http://www.gandydigital.com/pred8tor.asp

What do you think this printer will cost?

Gandy Digital introduced the Pred8tor, a UV flatbed with a roll-to-roll option. The 5-color (CMYK+W) printer offers resolution up to 1200 dpi (apparent) and a top speed of 1920 sq ft/hr in Production mode (400 sq ft/hr in Extra Fine mode). Maximum print size is 48 x 96 in. (rigid), and the Pred8tor can accommodate media up to 2-in. thick. The machine’s touch-and-drag GUI runs on the WiFi-enabled Apple iPad, which comes loaded with video tutorials and a live diagnostic system; also available on the GUI is a materials inventory-control ordering system. A print extension table is optional.

CWB

miker

Yeah. I saw the first press release about it over 6 months ago.

A few things that I think:

1) Agfa already made a very similar printer, the Titan, and it's price is around $450k.

2) Do you think the software will work better over a WiFi connected iPad that their old software did?

3) 8 Heads for the same color will be a pain to keep aligned (much like the 3150x2)

But yes, it does look pretty cool too :wink:

Pass!!!
4x8 bed ?? It is a jeti1224 with a new paint job and new generation heads.

Ink is still SunJet same as first gen jeti.

Seen it run and not impressed...

1920s/f/h. No way!!! 600 s/f/h Max..

10sacer

I got a sneak peek at this thing last year and they had it running at ISA earlier this year. Ran a 4x8 sheet of coro full coverage in just under 45 seconds. But you can't just multiply that and come up with 1900 sfh. There is time to load and unload and clean the sheets, too and that will take away from the posted sq. ft. per hour rating. Still... lets be pessimistic and say its 600-700 sfh. - still pretty dang fast and quality looked pretty good. Still using crap ink, though, with limited color gamut so prints look muted still.

Print swath is about 3" in the mode we ran it in.

Same nagging questions still apply when anything is presented by Gandi.

Cost will be just under $500K - will probably settle into the mid to low $400s when commercially viable.

If you buy your printers based on how the skins look - then this will definitely intrigue you.

Take a flyer if you can afford it and wait for them to fold up in 2 years and go do something else... again.

HulkSmash

I saw this thing at the ISA show in Orlando a few years back. It wasnt running, it was just a model on the floor. It had the rip running from its ipad. The paint job alone was several grand. It was all flake metalic blue. Looked REAL pretty

cwb143

too much for me. I got some printed samples in yesterday. Looks really nice. but I know it was probably ran in the highest mode and slowest mode. They never give you the stuff you need to know. crazy salesmen. I like the Ipad idea though. And I'd have to see that blot system clean the heads. Idoubt they ever ran ultraboard without clogging the heads up.

Last edited:

cwb143

It says they are coming out with a 6'x10' table model as well don't know when don't know how much. probably 3/4 of a million lol
also this printer has an automatic head height adjuster. Not sure thats good thing.

10sacer

My lowly CET printer has an auto head height adjustment and it works great.

Also - I run a ton of Ultraboard and have never had problems with the heads clogging.

cwb143

Vuteks and CETs sound good from you guys have been telling me. All I can do is make notes for the money guys to make a decision. What models of Vutek and CET are comparable to the Gandi 3150x2?

I've asked this before but tell me again if you don't mind.
printing about 400sqft/hr production mode.

Vuteks and CETs sound good from you guys have been telling me. All I can do is make notes for the money guys to make a decision. What models of Vutek and CET are comparable to the Gandi 3150x2?

I've asked this before but tell me again if you don't mind.
printing about 400sqft/hr production mode.

CET is not even in the same caliber as a Vutek.

Go with a QS and you will be very happy....

10sacer

Mike - sent you an email earlier this week about Duratrans job...

CET is not in same product category as Vutek. CET is entry/mid-industrial - whereas QS and GS Vuteks are industrial/production. That being said - the new CET 4x8 will do that speed. For Vutek - get a used QS2000.

cwb143

Ok very good. QS... yeah we're more industrial. I run 4x8 all day long. I did 50 sheets in 8 hours. but I have to unload them and load them and clean the panels and clean the heads every so often.

W

www.esigns.com

Vuteks are solid printers with excellent reputation, service and performance. Hybrid design will outperform table design by far, if the material you print runs well through the hybrid. Let me know if you are interested in researching Vuteks more, I will put you in contact with the best Vutek sales person - very helpful and knowledgable.

cwb143

So how is the loading of material? On the Gandi I pop up the pins and set the substrate flush to the pins and hit the vacuum. How is this done on the Vutek 2000 and 3200? someone told me it was like a table saw and you fed the sheet into the printer. Yikes!

W

www.esigns.com

Vuteks have that they call "Fence" - metal bar that you align your substrate to and also sets your offset. Then click the button and it swallows the sheet(s)... No way to press down damaged edges \ tape down problem areas like on Gandi (that is the only downside), so material must be good enough for vacuum to fix it (if needed) and hold down.

artbot

on the vuteks is it not even possible to hit "pause" and open the cover to put some kind of gorrilla tape or something on the sheet if it's looking iffy at some spot?

W

www.esigns.com

not at all.

It has pause but the belt... nothing will stick to it

miker

it depends on how bad the board is damaged. we can tape down leading and trailing edges with some success. As for opening the doors while printing...well....you're not "allowed" to do that for safety reasons, the machine will set off a door alarm...but you're a smart guy. =)

animenick65

not at all.

It has pause but the belt... nothing will stick to it

Not sure what kind of belt you have on your's, but double sided carpet tape works very well on our 4 year old QS. We tape down double sided Eco board on the second side. Lamps make it curl but the tape holds it down well.