• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The right way to install a 24' x 12' aluminum sign

nolanola

Hello.
We got a job to make a 24' x 12' aluminum sign (9 sheets) with vinyl on it.
It will go on a corrugated metal wall.
What is the right way to do it?
I like how aluminum pan signs look, but I believe its not possible in this case, because there should be no gaps between the panels.

The grey lines on the attached below are 2x2 aluminum square tubing. The maxmetal sheets will be attached to the aluminum tubing to prevent it from waving (corrugated metal wall).

attachment.php

Is it the right way to do it?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Untitled-7.jpg
    Untitled-7.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 383

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You really mean 12' x 24', don't you ??

Anyway, you didn't mention what thickness your ACM is gonna be, but you're gonna need more supports in there or you'll have sheets bowing in and out all over the place with that configuration.

Here's one we're in the middle of doing. This is for a 120" x 36" and we're using 10mm ACM on both sides. It will be lagged down into two brick pillars about 28" out of the ground. It might be a little overkill, but I don't hafta worry about a thing. The steel cost me $35.50 and took about 2 hours to cut, weld and grind. It'll take another 1/2 hour to put the rust infusion on and another 1/2 hour to paint it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• glen frame.jpg
    glen frame.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 357

nolanola

I am sorry, what does ACM stand for?
Should we build the frame at the shop?
I was thinking about putting the aluminum tubes to the wall and than bolting the maxmetal to the tubing.

Thank you.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 312

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Aluminum Composite Material.

How high up on the wall is it going ?? Will you, along with others have easy access to it ?? If so, so will vandals. Hopefully, this is going to go high, or in an area where no one can get to it. That would be a very tempting canvas for graffiti artists.

Regardless of where it's going, think about it......... if going on a wall, it will be a little hard to transport and if you can, you'll need a crane to hold it while lagging it on. Probably build it in 3pcs 12' x 8' and then put a connector in the middle to make sure no lumps or dips will telegraph through. Then attach your face panels. Again, you might need a bucket truck or knuckle boom to get them on there.

Do you have permits to do this and the right kinda insurance ??

nolanola

It will go 15 feet above the ground.
The installers I work with have the insurance.
I thought the job can be performed with a bucket truck only.

Billct2

We did a very similar job. As Gino suggested we had more struts and built it in a few sections to ease transport.
On site we assemble it into one piece. we set the bottom brackets ahead of time. Then it was picked up with a crane
and rested on the bottom brackets while a guy in a bucket did the fastening.

My suggestion would be to use a banner face system like Acklands - http://www.acklandmediaframes.com/
You would have a one-piece face, a lightweight install and changeable if needs be. Something to consider?

We use something similar manufactured by Admiral and distributed through Grimco called the Clips In banner frame. The nice thing with this system is the banner would be suspended 3/4" away from the wall that it's mounted to, so you can use 3/4" foam insulation as a backer to prevent the panel ribs from showing through and to add durability by not allowing the banner to flex in high winds. They are extremely fast and easy to install and replacing the banner is quite easy as well. It really is a nice option and looks way better than a multi panel setup.

Typestries

Nice work Gino. We would build the same kinda frame, but down here at the shore it would be aluminum so it wouldn't rust up. We keep angle and square tube in stock. Easy to cut, and even weld with a spool gun setup. Added bonus, PL makes a great secondary bond beyond just mechanical fasteners between ACM and aluminum provided you clean the aluminum first. Also overkill but I don't put stuff up, to come down.

Drip Dry

We use something similar manufactured by Admiral and distributed through Grimco called the Clips In banner frame. The nice thing with this system is the banner would be suspended 3/4" away from the wall that it's mounted to, so you can use 3/4" foam insulation as a backer to prevent the panel ribs from showing through and to add durability by not allowing the banner to flex in high winds. They are extremely fast and easy to install and replacing the banner is quite easy as well. It really is a nice option and looks way better than a multi panel setup.

These 2 suggestions would be ideal for your situation.
1 piece to put up and no seams

nolanola

Thank you for the suggestion the banner frame.
I think vinyl on the aluminum panels will last longer than the banner.
And the client has approved the aluminum already.

FS-Keith

Im dying to know if you priced this job already without knowing how to build it. Regardless, if this was our job we would try and sell them on a flex face frame system

FS-Keith

You really mean 12' x 24', don't you ??

Anyway, you didn't mention what thickness your ACM is gonna be, but you're gonna need more supports in there or you'll have sheets bowing in and out all over the place with that configuration.

Here's one we're in the middle of doing. This is for a 120" x 36" and we're using 10mm ACM on both sides. It will be lagged down into two brick pillars about 28" out of the ground. It might be a little overkill, but I don't hafta worry about a thing. The steel cost me $35.50 and took about 2 hours to cut, weld and grind. It'll take another 1/2 hour to put the rust infusion on and another 1/2 hour to paint it.
attachment.php

are you just skinning both sides of that with acm? you might want to weld upright tubes on the ends also to close up the ends so it looks better from the sides and doesnt turn into a nest for critters

Gino

Premium Subscriber
ACM on both sides with a pre-bent aluminum 'U' shaped end cap which will be riveted on..... on site.

GVP

Thank you for the suggestion the banner frame.
I think vinyl on the aluminum panels will last longer than the banner.
And the client has approved the aluminum already.

You do know that a majority of large backlit signs use a flex face (i.e. banner type material) ?

How are you fastening the Aluminum to the frame? Hopefully not ugly screws through each panel?