• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking of buying a laser engraver....

gabagoo

Just curious on input about purchasing one of these machines...pro's and cons.
I was looking at a Universal but am a little naive of just how many mfg's there are out there.

I have a good customer base and know once I let them know I have one, the work will eventually flow. I also do work for several large promotional companies and know there are custom projects that they need from time to time.

I don't really want the machine for doing large volume repetitive work..ie keychains and pens as I don't think there is much money in that end of the business.

your thoughts?

I bought a used Epilog Laser last jan. I didn't advertise it or push to hard and did 3k in sales with it and Gave away about 4k in trophys.. Mine was 5k used..

gabagoo

This is good to here.
I dont think the proliferation of a machine like this is anywhere like digital printers, so maybe there wont be to many low ballers getting in my way

edgette

I think the main difference between vinyl and the laser is you can get a cheapish vinyl cutter that can handle a lot of jobs fairly well while a cheap laser isn't going to do much for you. I have an epilog mini 18 and I love it. It's small enough to bring with me to some events, it doesn't take that much room and it can handle most jobs I have been requested to do. I bought it brand new around 11K with a 2 year warranty.

lassiter

We bought a LaserPro Spirit GX to cut gravotac about 3 years ago. We use it constantly, and find new uses for it every month. It paid for itself in the first year and a half. We do not cut vinyl with it, but the installer that came to train and install told us that the manufacturer does not recommend cutting vinyl in it (the burning vinyl makes a gas that promotes corrosion inside of the laser?), but he has customers that use it exclusively for that purpose with no ill effects.

Baz

I bought a Gravograph LX100 35 watt last September. I find it to be a really nice additional service for me to offer my existing customers. It is a really cool machine and i have made some things with it that i would not have thought about before purchasing it. I paid 12k for it but it also came with their software.

J Hill Designs

heres a photo of a test on a heavy suede glove for a client 5 years back - epilog was the laser used

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 67