• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This Old Roland (LEJ-640FT) - Service Call 0151

Lucid

I've got a "Service Call 0151" error message displayed. According to the manual, there could be several causes for this:

- Head up/down motor is broken
- Head up/down sensor is broken
- Wiring issue
- Bad servo board

But In don't think any of these are the issue. When I turn on the machine, it started going through the startup cycle. Then at some point I heard a high pitched whining sound that sounded like a stalled stepper motor. So I opened the head cover and exposed what I'll call the "head mount". FYI, I took off the 2 UV lamps to gain better access. The head mount is on a linear rail and moves up and down by a lead screw that is driven by a timing belt and pulley, powered by a stepper motor.

Here is a picture of the "head mount" on a linear rail in the UP position:
IMG-5524.jpg

Here is the picture of the drive mechanism:
IMG-5523.JPG

I have disconnected the harness that powers the stepper motor, and tried to turn the lead screw by hand. The lead screw will only turn about 1/4 of a turn both clockwise and counter clockwise before completely jamming up. It appears the head mount is "locked" in the up position. There is no way the motor will be able to turn it if I cannot turn it by hand. I haven't put lots of time into it, but I'm wondering if there is something physically locks the head mount in place or if it is just binding on the linear rails.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG-5526.JPG
    IMG-5526.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 324
  • 0151.JPG
    0151.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG-5525.JPG
    IMG-5525.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 98

Lucid

Update:

I fixed the "Service Call 0151" error code. As I suspected, the problem was none of the things mentioned in the manual. I continue to be amazed at the lack of documentation around the internet for these things.

The problem was the "Head Mount" (I still don't know what to call it, but it's the part on the carriage that moves up/down on the linear rails), was binding. Actually more like seized up. I think this happened due to the excessive amount of ink/dirt build up on the linear rails. I discovered the problem by first removing the stepper motor and timing belt. I verified that the motor spins freely and the pully/lead screw would not turn.

IMG-5528.JPG

When I measured the gap from the top of the "head mount" to the top of the carriage on both left and right side, I could see that the head mount was racking and binding.

IMG-5527.JPG

IMG-5529.JPG

There is a plate at the top of each linear rail holding it place, so I took them off and pulled the rails out 1 at a time. The rails were so tight because of the ink build up, that I had to clean them with IPA just get get them to move a little, and continue to clean them as there were coming out. It's no wonder that little motor couldn't get the had to move. Once they were out, I cleaned the bearing service thoroughly with IPA.

IMG-5532.JPG

I cleaned each linear rail and coated them with some motor grease and reinstalled them.

IMG-5533.JPG

I verified that I could manually turn the lead screw to lift or lower the head mount, then hooked the motor and belt back up.

I turned the machine on and could hear the head movement sounded smooth. No more 0151 error either!

Unfortunately I discovered another problem with this machine, so I'll be posting about that soon.

JeffMcAfee

I've got a "Service Call 0151" error message displayed. According to the manual, there could be several causes for this:

- Head up/down motor is broken
- Head up/down sensor is broken
- Wiring issue
- Bad servo board

But In don't think any of these are the issue. When I turn on the machine, it started going through the startup cycle. Then at some point I heard a high pitched whining sound that sounded like a stalled stepper motor. So I opened the head cover and exposed what I'll call the "head mount". FYI, I took off the 2 UV lamps to gain better access. The head mount is on a linear rail and moves up and down by a lead screw that is driven by a timing belt and pulley, powered by a stepper motor.

Here is a picture of the "head mount" on a linear rail in the UP position:
View attachment 161761

Here is the picture of the drive mechanism:
View attachment 161762

I have disconnected the harness that powers the stepper motor, and tried to turn the lead screw by hand. The lead screw will only turn about 1/4 of a turn both clockwise and counter clockwise before completely jamming up. It appears the head mount is "locked" in the up position. There is no way the motor will be able to turn it if I cannot turn it by hand. I haven't put lots of time into it, but I'm wondering if there is something physically locks the head mount in place or if it is just binding on the linear rails.

Any thoughts?
Awesome write up. I just had a 0151 Service call error on my LEJ640 #2. I also had to replace the bearing block on my one LEJ640 which required me to take the entire machine apart. The carriage was binding up going left to right. Half of the tiny ball bearings were missing in the main bearing block when I got it out. I still have all the pictures I may document it like you did for this so others can benefit. Roland refused to change the main bearing block due to how complicated it was. I did it successfully except my head is of by 3mm on the measurements by the machine when I put it all back together. So I just add +3mm to whatever number I need to put in for thickness.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Wow, no experience with that model, but it looks like something Roland should have had some sort of preventative cleaning/ lubricating maintenance procedure for.