• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Threat of Closing this year...

netsol

PENSACOLA, Fla. -- New numbers reveal just how many small businesses are struggling under economic pressure.

The networking platform Alignable surveyed more than 4,100 small businesses across the country. In April, 43% of them could not pay their rent in full or on time.

US Small-Business Rent Delinquencies Rise to a Three-Year High​

2022 Rent Crisis Breaks Troubling Records​

US Small-Business Rent Delinquencies Rise to a Three-Year High​

one of the many advantages we get from mail in voting and same day registration

ikarasu

Being a small business sucks in most markets... If you're in a "Major" or Semi Major city, rent is crazy.

To get a 1000 SQFT Place right now... It'd cost me $3500 a month for a business... Thats just for rent, doesnt include utilities or anything else. And there is no guarantee in the next 5 years the landlord doesnt double it. Our building is huge... we were paying 25K Per month rent for the past 10 years, expensive but manageable... Then the rent jumped to 50K Right after Covid. Can you imagine all of a sudden having an additional 300k per year rent expense ontop of everything else?

I was tired of having all the equipment for my "shop" in my house, so I was going to rent a place... I was thinking it'd cost 1K, maybe 1.5K a month... but after everything is said and done, it'd be close to 5K Cost to rent a 1-2k square foot place, thatd have the equivlant space of my place now... it's cheaper for me to mortgage a second house and just store it in my house!

So I do believe it when they say 50% of business's are struggling to even pay rent - Those numbers are skewed too, I'm sure in the higher Cost of living places the numbers way, way higher... some places havent had to deal with the insane rent increase yet. I don't see how anyone can start their own business from scratch right now... You'd be in the 50-75K Per year just in getting a place... Then you have equipment purchases... even if you're a 1 man shop, you'd need to pay yourself...so lets say another 50K per year. 125K Per year just to start up with zero equipment.... I know a lot of shops that dont even clear 10k per month in sales, let alone in profit.

Same can be said for business's that are struggling - If you lost some big clients, or a lot of customers arent buying anymore due to the cost of things... It's not as easy as getting out and pounding pavement anymore. All the small shops that are still around, whether theyre established or not... are Lucky, and have good business practices. We're going to see a lot more small business's, whether its restaurants, sign shops, or just someones dream business shut down in the next few years.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Being a small business sucks in most markets... If you're in a "Major" or Semi Major city, rent is crazy.

To get a 1000 SQFT Place right now... It'd cost me $3500 a month for a business... Thats just for rent, doesnt include utilities or anything else. And there is no guarantee in the next 5 years the landlord doesnt double it. Our building is huge... we were paying 25K Per month rent for the past 10 years, expensive but manageable... Then the rent jumped to 50K Right after Covid. Can you imagine all of a sudden having an additional 300k per year rent expense ontop of everything else?

I was tired of having all the equipment for my "shop" in my house, so I was going to rent a place... I was thinking it'd cost 1K, maybe 1.5K a month... but after everything is said and done, it'd be close to 5K Cost to rent a 1-2k square foot place, thatd have the equivlant space of my place now... it's cheaper for me to mortgage a second house and just store it in my house!

So I do believe it when they say 50% of business's are struggling to even pay rent - Those numbers are skewed too, I'm sure in the higher Cost of living places the numbers way, way higher... some places havent had to deal with the insane rent increase yet. I don't see how anyone can start their own business from scratch right now... You'd be in the 50-75K Per year just in getting a place... Then you have equipment purchases... even if you're a 1 man shop, you'd need to pay yourself...so lets say another 50K per year. 125K Per year just to start up with zero equipment.... I know a lot of shops that dont even clear 10k per month in sales, let alone in profit.

Same can be said for business's that are struggling - If you lost some big clients, or a lot of customers arent buying anymore due to the cost of things... It's not as easy as getting out and pounding pavement anymore. All the small shops that are still around, whether theyre established or not... are Lucky, and have good business practices. We're going to see a lot more small business's, whether its restaurants, sign shops, or just someones dream business shut down in the next few years.
Use that money and just get a larger house... You'll come out ahead.

I've seen hundreds of commercial leases, they are usually 5-10 year and give the option for the tenant to guarantee renewal for another 5-10 at a set rate. (Usually only about 10-20% higher..nothing astronomical ) If you just have a 5 year lease with no renewal terms you need to negotiate better.

ikarasu

It's different in Canada. 5 years is the standard term, some people go for 10, but 5 is most common - real estate is so hot right now, no one will give you a lease with guaranteed rates for 10 years, or 5 years with a renewal at xx percent. They'd rather you leave in 5 years so they can double the rent.

You guys have full 25/30 year set mortgages too - over here thats pretty much unheard of. Every 5 years we have to renew at the current rates.

I bought my place at 2% interest.. now I'm at 5+. Last year I was paying $950 a month for my mortgage.... It renewed a year and a half ago, and I'm now paying $1800 a month, ish... And that's with my piddly 200k mortgage (I live.in a 2.5k sqft townhouse... I paid 380k, and mortgaged 200) lots of people are having to sell because they're way over leveraged with what then current interest is. Plus.... 3 of my neighbors just sold their townhouse, same layout.... For 1.1 million.... It's crazy. In 6 years my property is worth double...

Everyday there's a list of a dozen restaurants or smaller shops that are having to close because their rent has doubled... Then a timmies or Starbucks or McDonald's gets put in. All the unique businesses are going away, and the chains are coming in, it sucks.

But yes... I plan on buying a property with a big chunk of land and building my own workshop on it. To get a property here with even a small chunk of land for a workshop is in the 2-2.5 million range though, so even then it's pretty expensive. I can sell my townhome for 1.1 million, and have a 850k down payment... But I can't take on a 1-1.5 million mortgage right now. So all my money goes towards paying off this mortgage and saving up enough to drop down the mortgage to a more manageable amount.

It is what it is, I'm lucky to have a decent job, and enough space in my current place for a side business... I get by with enough to save for a "better future". I just don't see how anyone can start a business in this day and age from scratch unless its out of their garage, or if they have a huge nest egg saved up and are willing to risk it in hopes the business takes
off.

Goatshaver

Premium Subscriber
full disclosure: we don't have a website either.
i seriously doubt if he sets up a free website that it will EVER generate a dollar

we have never setup a website because i do not want to deal with one up customers

someone else can print HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATTY!!

seriously, we will solicit and do business with the type of clients we want to have, it is always possible a walk in customer will be the find of a lifetime but it is doubtful
Yeah I think websites are just more of a contact point and to showcase offerings unless you're coming up at the top of searches for printing, less likely to generate traffic naturally.

I'd say also making a google business profile may help to if people are searching for printing in your area.
Talk to the local chamber of commerce, look up trade shows and get a list of vendors at them, reach out to them with samples of marketing items they could display or give out at a trade show.

My problem is I'm not a sales/marketing kinda guy. I love doing the production but the business side is what I'm not great at, and that's what I'm going to focus getting better at.

netsol

someone in this thread i think, made the comment that if you don't have a website you don't seem like a legitimate business
kind of like not having a "business phone" (land line) and a yellow pages ad in the old days)

i will consider that there may be some truth to that, although it's hard for me to wrap my head around...

netsol

when i was a computer consultant (still am) we had an office in an office park (comcast office was right next to our door)
the president of the condo association asked me why i didn't have a sign up.
my feeling was EVERYONE who we did business with knew who and where we were. i had the luxury of not having or wanting walkins

i am still of the opinion that WHILE IT IS POSSIBLE that a really great client may just walk in the door, IT IS MORE LIKELY a pain in the ass will be the only one coming in

word of mouth from existing GOOD CLIENTS is the best you can hope for

full disclosure: we don't have a website either.
i seriously doubt if he sets up a free website that it will EVER generate a dollar

we have never setup a website because i do not want to deal with one up customers

someone else can print HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATTY!!

seriously, we will solicit and do business with the type of clients we want to have, it is always possible a walk in customer will be the find of a lifetime but it is doubtful
Wrong. I have gotten local business come in from searches on social media which is backed up by the fact that I have a basic free webpage that one can put on Linked in or Facebook, etc as your website. And then people can click on it and go to it, so it makes them feel that you are actually in business and then they call you!

victor bogdanov

The warehouse complex I'm in lost about 5 tenants this year, used to be 20 out of 20 occupied now about 15 / 20 units occupied.

I see more and more for lease signs popping up in similar warehouses, 1.5k-5kl sq ft

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It's different in Canada. 5 years is the standard term, some people go for 10, but 5 is most common - real estate is so hot right now, no one will give you a lease with guaranteed rates for 10 years, or 5 years with a renewal at xx percent. They'd rather you leave in 5 years so they can double the rent.

You guys have full 25/30 year set mortgages too - over here thats pretty much unheard of. Every 5 years we have to renew at the current rates.

I bought my place at 2% interest.. now I'm at 5+. Last year I was paying $950 a month for my mortgage.... It renewed a year and a half ago, and I'm now paying $1800 a month, ish... And that's with my piddly 200k mortgage (I live.in a 2.5k sqft townhouse... I paid 380k, and mortgaged 200) lots of people are having to sell because they're way over leveraged with what then current interest is. Plus.... 3 of my neighbors just sold their townhouse, same layout.... For 1.1 million.... It's crazy. In 6 years my property is worth double...

Everyday there's a list of a dozen restaurants or smaller shops that are having to close because their rent has doubled... Then a timmies or Starbucks or McDonald's gets put in. All the unique businesses are going away, and the chains are coming in, it sucks.

But yes... I plan on buying a property with a big chunk of land and building my own workshop on it. To get a property here with even a small chunk of land for a workshop is in the 2-2.5 million range though, so even then it's pretty expensive. I can sell my townhome for 1.1 million, and have a 850k down payment... But I can't take on a 1-1.5 million mortgage right now. So all my money goes towards paying off this mortgage and saving up enough to drop down the mortgage to a more manageable amount.

It is what it is, I'm lucky to have a decent job, and enough space in my current place for a side business... I get by with enough to save for a "better future". I just don't see how anyone can start a business in this day and age from scratch unless its out of their garage, or if they have a huge nest egg saved up and are willing to risk it in hopes the business takes
off.
Don't you have expensive and cheap parts of town? We have business parks that are one step up from a storage unit.. there might be 100 small business in them. Some are in nice parts of town and some are in industrial areas next to where the hookers hang out and the rent varies. If your in a major city, I couldn't imagine you don't have a cheaper working class area or industrial part of town. Look for window tinting companies, or lawn care / pool services shops... That's where they have their store in those small business parks.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
someone in this thread i think, made the comment that if you don't have a website you don't seem like a legitimate business
kind of like not having a "business phone" (land line) and a yellow pages ad in the old days)

i will consider that there may be some truth to that, although it's hard for me to wrap my head around...
I have to search out sign companies all the time to sub work out. If they don't have a website it's a negative in my book. The OP is asking about getting business, a website doesn't cost much and don't hurt having one.

netsol

I have to search out sign companies all the time to sub work out. If they don't have a website it's a negative in my book. The OP is asking about getting business, a website doesn't cost much and don't hurt having one.
i am sure you are right.
BUT
i still think a FREE website is next to useless
without SOA he will be on the 11th page of the search

amcswain

Might be a stupid question, but does your area have a Chamber of Commerce that you can join and get involved with? I've found these are great to join but you have to be active to get attention. Our local Chamber has social events that we are able to attend and network with other local businesses. The internet has made it so easy for anyone to order anything which has hurt our industry. I've been in business in my location for 25+ years and I still have people tell me that they never realized there was a local printer that could help them out.
I just got a free membership for a year. I'm just waiting for them to send the details

amcswain

What are you primarily producing? I focus on selling films which are more profitable than just banner and adhesive vinyl on a board.....as I say all the time, I try to find films which are not commodity films where both of us can make some money. I'm in Chicago all the time...maybe we can meet up and I can show you some cool window, wall, and floor films. At the very least, if you get out and show these to your current and potential customers, they'll make a splash and get you noticed.
Thanks! I'm open to that. We mostly sell banners, foamboards and digital products like flyers and business cards.

amcswain

Whenever a new DBA is filed, a classified ad used to be taken out as a way to publicly notify the world that this new business exists and what it does. These are brand new businesses, and they might not have explored all of their signage options yet. Getting in touch with these people early on is a good way to create new and long term business partners.

Another idea would be a dedicated sales guy. Barring that, you could offer referral fees to your customers. You could give out business cards with your customer's name written on it and have them give those out to their friends and anyone who they think might need you. This card worth 5% off your order of $100+! Then you kick your customer who referred them $20.

Do you have a work truck? Wrapped? Do that.
I like that idea. No I don't have a work truck. We don't install. Just printing services.