• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tool for manually cutting stripes?

Rob36

hi all! As in the topic really. My cutter struggles when cutting long narrow stripes, so I usually resort to marking out then using a knife & straight edge. I was wondering though, is there a tool available for manually doing this more easily? Thanks in advance!!

equippaint

How long are the stripes? We try to avoid them but if we need to cut our own, try loading the vinyl and feeding it in and out a ways to see how its tracking. Get it to track as perfectly square as you can before you cut. Or find an old sprocket fed plotter

Dr. Decal

Knifeless Tape.

I don't do a ton of stripe work, but when I do I choose Knifeless Tape.:)

You can layout the stripe with the knifeless tape, than apply vinyl on top. The tape will cut the vinyl into your desired shape with no plotter or hand cutting required.

jfiscus

Rap Master
For STRAIGHT stripes you need a sprocket fed plotter and vinyl. Something like a Gerber plotter; that is what we have here. With sprockets it cannot walk to either side, you can run the whole length of a roll on one and have the stripe perfect.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
For STRAIGHT stripes you need a sprocket fed plotter and vinyl. Something like a Gerber plotter; that is what we have here. With sprockets it cannot walk to either side, you can run the whole length of a roll on one and have the stripe perfect.
Unless you're using cheap vinyl that has a slightly "off" sprocket pattern- then it's a nightmare! But a sprocket-fed will rarely have issues with the right material.

Rob36

How long are the stripes? We try to avoid them but if we need to cut our own, try loading the vinyl and feeding it in and out a ways to see how its tracking. Get it to track as perfectly square as you can before you cut. Or find an old sprocket fed plotter
Length of stripes can range - When I need to produce stripes its usually to reproduce graphics for the sides of motorhomes / caravans and the like for one of my clients who carries out insurance repairs, so they can be fairly long! Yeah - I see the wisdom of a sprocket fed plotter for this type of thing, but alas, for the amount of work i do in this area, the purchase of more hardware just isnt an option unfortunately!

Some interesting tips from you guys though - thanks indeed! Has given me some food for thought!