• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

tow behind boom lift

d fleming

Bought my bucket truck for less than I could find a tow behind. Happy happy. After using both I gotta say I love my truck.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah, if I were in the market, I would definitely opt for a bucket truck over a tow-behind lift. The trucks are just easier to maneuver. But then there are times when a tow-behind lift can be maneuvered by hand into spots a truck can't get. I'd still opt for the truck though.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I originally wanted a bucket truck, but I don't use it enough to justify the insurance and upkeep.

The only thing I spent on it in 10 years was $600 for a new set of batteries and that's only because I loaned it to a friend and he left it turned on for 4 months......

RyanFelty

I use them for every install I need it for. Used it for different backlit installs and puttin up a small billboard. It's the best way to go... For us I think it rents for about 125-150 for the day ant beat it. Also if you have a very large panel you can hook ratchet strains to the side, put the sign in the hooks (make sure they are both the same length) and it an be lifted right up with one person balancing it. I wish I could find one to buy around here.

Schickworks

I can say from personal experience, never buy a JLG towable manlift. The electronic controls are absolute crap! And very expensive to repair.

And I can say from personal experience that the JLG tow behind we bought in 2007 hasn't given us grief at all. Best thing we ever did was get into that machine. We've now got to the point where we need to take things to the next level and are looking at an Elliott M43.

Gary Welch

Premium Subscriber
I use them for every install I need it for. Used it for different backlit installs and puttin up a small billboard. It's the best way to go... For us I think it rents for about 125-150 for the day ant beat it. Also if you have a very large panel you can hook ratchet strains to the side, put the sign in the hooks (make sure they are both the same length) and it an be lifted right up with one person balancing it. I wish I could find one to buy around here.

We also use these for every install they will reach. I love your ratchet strap idea.

skyhigh

About 10 years ago, I had the chance to buy a genie (if memory serves me) at a local auction. It sold for $1,000. At the time, I didn't know much about them. Today, I wish I had picked it up.

I still like my trucks. Every once in a while you hear about a truck tipping over.....having said that, something about those light weight looking lifts, don't give me a feeling of security. I'd go up in one, but I wouldn't swing it too far over the side. :Big Laugh

Moze

Precision Sign Services
This is one of the coolest lifts I've used. I wish I owned one because it's an awesome tool. It'll fit through a 36" doorway.

This is also one of the most nerve-racking installs I've done. The lift was on a slight incline and the bucket had to be swung out so it was over a 45'± drop.

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 151

mnapuran

This is one of the coolest lifts I've used. I wish I owned one because it's an awesome tool. It'll fit through a 36" doorway.

This is also one of the most nerve-racking installs I've done. The lift was on a slight incline and the bucket had to be swung out so it was over a 45'± drop.

Nice Moze!

Here's a 51' knuckle towable we used today.

Attachments

• 1048507_10152188896624899_532376089_o.jpg
    1048507_10152188896624899_532376089_o.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 138

401Graphics

I got my used 97 ford f-superduty bucket truck (retired verizon truck) for $3500
35' height Altec AT-200 lift.
I rent it out also, $100 first hour $50 each additional.

visual800

I have rented everything under the sun till I bought a bucket truck. While looking for that truck I also checked out the towable lifts and genie booms, damn they cost more than a truck! The least favorite was a towable only because of the hassle of setup time. I also prefer to be mobile. Nicest lift was a brand new JLG snorkel. Very smooth, 4 wheel drive, clean.