• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Track saw or panel saw

bigben

If you could only buy a track saw or panel saw to cut everything related to the sign industry (in my case mostly acrylic), what would you choose? If you have a specific brand/model in mind, I would like to know. Thanks.

Gene@mpls

The first largish purchase after setting up our shop [28 years ago] was a 6 ft tall Safety Speed Cut saw.... I have never for one second regretted it. Saves time and fingers- very safe for inexperienced workers.

bigben

The first largish purchase after setting up our shop [28 years ago] was a 6 ft tall Safety Speed Cut saw.... I have never for one second regretted it. Saves time and fingers- very safe for inexperienced workers.
How precise are the cuts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity, do you cut a lotta acrylic on it ??

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
+1 for Safety Speed Cut. I am on my second one, (both second hand) and now have the 61" model. I do cut a lot of acrylic on mine, and it does fantastic. I have no issues with the precision of it, but I do get a second set of hands for anything over 10'. I primarily cut ACM, but I do a fair amount of acrylic and poly as well. It has been a great purchase.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you back up the acrylic ?? I've always thought, if the acrylic isn't tight up against something, the chatter will bust it. We have lotsa 5" foam we use just for cutting acrylic, but never tried it on the panel saw..... anyway, not without breaking it.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I don't back it with anything. The blade I use is (I think) 80 tooth and specific for acrylic. So far so good. I have busted a corner here and there before the panel saw using the skil saw, so I know how irritating and easy it can happen.

signheremd

Do you back up the acrylic ?? I've always thought, if the acrylic isn't tight up against something, the chatter will bust it. We have lotsa 5" foam we use just for cutting acrylic, but never tried it on the panel saw..... anyway, not without breaking it.
We also use a specific blade for Acrylic. But I sometimes use a scrap piece of MDO to press against the small stuff to prevent it vibrating

DSignKing

I don't back it with anything. The blade I use is (I think) 80 tooth and specific for acrylic. So far so good. I have busted a corner here and there before the panel saw using the skil saw, so I know how irritating and easy it can happen.
Could you send a link of the particular blade you use. I am on the market for one?

We use our Safety Speed saw all the time. I got a "insert" from the company that I've used for cutting acrylic, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Cutting polycarbonate is a different issue--not sure I've had the right blade and I've done it so rarely I've never invested in the correct blade. I've played with a track saw, but it's not as convenient (unless you're making non-perpendicular cuts), and you have to be very careful about not trapping a piece of dirt between the track and acrylic, forcing it through the paper and scratching the plastic. QUESTION: what's the best blade for cutting ACM? I always have to sand the edges to get rid of rough edges and flashing. One problem is my saw takes an 8 1/4" blade.

Gene@mpls

Accuracy is as good as the person setting it up- a signshop does not require the accuracy of a cabinet shop for instance.

bigben

Hi! Me again. So I got some quote for the safety speed saw. Here in Canada, 7k$-10k$ depending of the accessories. I've waited to see if I could find one used but did not had any luck. I will buy a laser next week and the saw will be necessary. I assume the most economical option would be a track saw? I'm a Milwaukee tools guy and their track saw is supposed to come out this month. But the reviews are mix.

So if I want to keep the budget below 2k$ (with the purchase of the laser my budget went down) what are my options for mostly cut acrylic?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Circular saw at this point. 2k...... nothing, unless you find a very hard used one.

bigben

Circular saw at this point. 2k...... nothing, unless you find a very hard used one.
Really? But the prices I've saw for track saw was between 1k$ and 2k$. I saw a Milwaukee panel saw for 2k$ but it was already sold. If 2k$ is not enough, how much should I spend to have something descent?

d fleming

Hey Gino and OP, been using my safety speed cut 22 years now. Have had triple chip blade the whole time. Lotsa teeth, lol. On my second blade. When you let the tool do the work it cuts flawlessly and blades last a long time simply because it is held at perfect angle. Safety is a big +. Acrylic cuts fine but I would use a backer if it is very thin material. I cut alumpanel, acrylic, wood, coro, just about everything on it. I have table saw, track saws and every tool it takes to build metal buildings in Disney. Still best purchase ever for a beginning sign shop. When I retire this sucker goes in my shop at home.

Gary1

What model did you buy exactly? Do you cut 1/2in thick acrylic and if yes, what blade do you use?
TS55. I think the model number has changed today. I like it because to rip a 4x8 sheet on a panel saw you need 16’ of floor space. With a track saw you can easily do that on a 4x8 table.