• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tritium sign disposal

Signarama Jockey

.... to get back a little on topic- or a different squirrel chase at least. Tritium is not very dangerous to humans, in-general. everything from the NRC was correct, all the other health issues are risk based and probably knee-jerk litigation. I have family who was/is in the nuclear industry. Their belief as to why the commercial tritium is controlled so tightly has more to do with how difficult it is to isolate tritium when compared to the end results of someone trying to collect fussile material to place in the center of a chunk of fissile material making an even bigger boom that would be very bad for humans.

anything pertaining to nuclear has a bad public image and regulations seems to fly -whether or not they pass the silly test. all other regulation just snowballed from this. (another squirrel chase - the MRI, or magnetic resonance imaging, had to change its name to be used with the general public.. "Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging" tended to scare a lot of people - even though the name is exactly what is happening... Nothing to do with nuclear chemistry, it just shakes the nuclei of the atoms and measures how much force it takes... but the public is afraid of anything "nuclear")
Yeah, I wouldn't want a leaky canister of Tritium in my house, so there's something to be said about slapping a warning label on the stuff. But I just don't get the layers of red tape.

You're probably right that it might be a generalized panic about anything radioactive. Humanity spent so much time being totally unaware of the repercussions of some of the materials we've used (radium, lead, etc), it's not too surprising that we are compensating for that oversight. Like the fear some people have of nuclear reactors.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I think the government wants to know where nuclear material starts and ends mainly for national security but I could be wrong? Also to ensure proper disposal so we don't end up with contaminated drinking water supplies that linger around forever. Betcha lots of people in this business dump their waste ink down the drain, in the trash or out in the dirt. That's why we have layers of red tape unfortunately.

BigNate

I think the government wants to know where nuclear material starts and ends mainly for national security but I could be wrong? Also to ensure proper disposal so we don't end up with contaminated drinking water supplies that linger around forever. Betcha lots of people in this business dump their waste ink down the drain, in the trash or out in the dirt. That's why we have layers of red tape unfortunately.
yeah, but knee-jerk reaction for a gas that leaves if not contained - it is less dense than helium, floats up pretty freely in the atmosphere.... for someone truly trying to make a huge tritium generated mushroom cloud, there are much easier ways to get it... and much more difficult items on you purchase list.

JBurton

Signtologist
Probably some senators son died from tritium poisoning after a car wreck with a sign in the vehicle. Ya know, they could have listed cause of death as alcohol poisoning, but the tritium sign was right there...

Or weapons:
Because tritium is used in boosted fission weapons and thermonuclear weapons (though in quantities several thousand times larger than that in a keychain), consumer and safety devices containing tritium for use in the United States are subject to certain possession, resale, disposal, and use restrictions. In the US, devices such as self-luminous exit signs, gauges, wristwatches, etc. that contain small amounts of tritium are under the jurisdiction of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and are subject to possession, distribution, and import and export regulations found in 10 CFR Parts, 30, 32, and 110. They are also subject to regulations for possession, use, and disposal in certain states. Luminous products containing more tritium than needed for a wristwatch are not widely available at retail outlets in the United States.[citation needed]

They are readily sold and used in the UK and US. They are regulated in England and Wales by environmental health departments of local councils.[citation needed] In Australia products containing tritium are licence exempt if they contain less than 1×106 becquerels per gram (2.7×10−5 Ci/g) tritium and have a total activity of less than 1×109 becquerels (0.027 Ci), except for in safety devices where the limit is 74×109 becquerels (2.0 Ci) total activity.[12]
*wikipedia

Oddly enough, you can buy holders for the standard size in signs all day long on amazon, but no tritium itself to be had.

Signarama Jockey

Probably some senators son died from tritium poisoning after a car wreck with a sign in the vehicle. Ya know, they could have listed cause of death as alcohol poisoning, but the tritium sign was right there...

Or weapons:
Because tritium is used in boosted fission weapons and thermonuclear weapons (though in quantities several thousand times larger than that in a keychain), consumer and safety devices containing tritium for use in the United States are subject to certain possession, resale, disposal, and use restrictions. In the US, devices such as self-luminous exit signs, gauges, wristwatches, etc. that contain small amounts of tritium are under the jurisdiction of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and are subject to possession, distribution, and import and export regulations found in 10 CFR Parts, 30, 32, and 110. They are also subject to regulations for possession, use, and disposal in certain states. Luminous products containing more tritium than needed for a wristwatch are not widely available at retail outlets in the United States.[citation needed]

They are readily sold and used in the UK and US. They are regulated in England and Wales by environmental health departments of local councils.[citation needed] In Australia products containing tritium are licence exempt if they contain less than 1×106 becquerels per gram (2.7×10−5 Ci/g) tritium and have a total activity of less than 1×109 becquerels (0.027 Ci), except for in safety devices where the limit is 74×109 becquerels (2.0 Ci) total activity.[12]
*wikipedia

Oddly enough, you can buy holders for the standard size in signs all day long on amazon, but no tritium itself to be had.
If you've already got a nuclear weapon, I think we're missing the elephant in the room.

I'm betting on the senator's son car accident, personally.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
If you've already got a nuclear weapon, I think we're missing the elephant in the room.

I'm betting on the senator's son car accident, personally.
I'll just leave this here as a testament to my beliefs :p

plutonium tee.jpg