• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trouble applying Contour Cut

Team Valhalla

I'm sure the solution is obvious, but being blonde... and now gray... I'm not seeing it.

I have some jerseys that the customer wants to have a chevron design in the number so that the material is showing through. The black area in the image is what would be cut out and thus showing the jersey material.

How can I apply the Contour Cut to the image so that it cuts out these sections? My initial thought was to Power Clip the image into the number, but then I can't apply Contour Cut.

Using Corel X4. The red outline around the number is just that... an outline that's part of the graphic.

Thanks in advance for any input.

SP

Attachments

• Number with chevron cutout.jpg
    Number with chevron cutout.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 86

Chriswagner92

have you set up your spot color for contour cut? basically after you get the spot color to be a CutContour you just make the strokes that spot color, for versaworks anyway

what we do when we want to cut usually is to export as an eps into flexi and just cut from there, but if you have overlaps it will cut twice.

Last edited:

Team Valhalla

The spot color is set up for the Contour Cut feature.

My problem is not being able to figure out how to "close" the cut out section.

In the pic, I changed the red outline to green so I wasn't confusing the issue. The darker area of the chevron is what needs to be removed so the jersey material can be seen. I want the Contour Cut applied where the arrows are.

In this image, I applied the Contour Cut to the chevron before applying the Power Clip.

I know I could apply the Contour Cut to the number, but I'm trying to eliminate having numerous pieces making up the graphic.

SP

Attachments

• Number with chevron cutout 2.jpg
    Number with chevron cutout 2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 80

J Hill Designs

hmm maybe: select red (green) path, shift-select the chevrons, use the 'intersect' feature (where weld, trim, etc are)

btw why are you powerclipping? is any portion of that raster?

Team Valhalla

I Power Clipped it so that it automatically put the chevrons within the number... equally spaced. Verses me manually putting them in.

Wrong thinking?

SP

Chriswagner92

Yeah i just replicated it backwards(black was white and white was black) over here in like 5 minutes. Ditch the powerclip, and then mess around with the minus back/front options of the pathfinder until you get desired result.

Chriswagner92

I Power Clipped it so that it automatically put the chevrons within the number... equally spaced. Verses me manually putting them in.

Wrong thinking?

SP

you know you can copy something, then hit ctrl+d to repeat, and it will evenly space the copied item. also the align and distribute under the arrange menu. I'm not sure if you knew that or not but I use it quite often.

Cyw

SP, use the [1] Intersect command to get your chevron pattern 'cut' to the shape of your number.
Then it's just a matter of clicking with the Smart Fill tool in the areas that you want a cut line.

I set my Smart Fill to default to a hairline (cut-contour color) and no Fill.
Makes these kind of projects quick & easy.

Attachments

• SmartFill.jpg
    SmartFill.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Team Valhalla

That's the ticket!! Thanks for the directions, that gets me right where I want to be!

Thanks to anyone else that chimed in. Any and all help is appreciated.

Have a good one.

SP

P.S. That's some late 60s - early 70s color combination you used there to make your point! Yikes!

The Giraffe

you know you can copy something, then hit ctrl+d to repeat, and it will evenly space the copied item. also the align and distribute under the arrange menu. I'm not sure if you knew that or not but I use it quite often.

Mind blown.......that's a heck of a lot easier than the step and repeat.