• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trouble printing from X5 using a previous file made in X3 (color)

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys, I think I have more of an issue printing from X5 than an X3 to X5 issue. I am currently printing on a SP-300V using Versaworks and have always had trouble printing rich black. In X3, I would use RGB 0 0 0, convert to an RGB bitmap and it would print rich black. In X5, I can't seem to find the magic color, export combination to be such. I have worked around this problem long enough that I'm tired of it. This morning, I printed some decals from a file previously designed in X3 and exported then as I always do with a cut contour and they looked good. Then I made an additional decal with a color change and the black looked sickly compared to the old black. I tried several different options for rich black and I can't get any to look near as good as my original file. The black always turns the greenish color. I guess what I'm wondering is if there is a color profile change that I'm missing somewhere. Thanks for any advice that can be given.

idsignsil

I believe in X5 you can load in Versaworks color swatches. In Corel go to windows, color palettes, more palettes, then open up the palette libraries and find the Roland Color System Library, and load that one up. Choose BK21A to print just from the black ink cartridge, or choose BK22A to print process black. Versaworks will recognize the colors and print accordingly.

On a side note, I have been using these for black since we got the machine (Roland XC-540) and they are good blacks. But it seems that the registration marks for print/cut are a richer/smoother black. Does anyone know what color/ink combo Versaworks prints those with? I would think it would be just like BK21A with the straight black ink. But the black looks just a bit better on the circle registration marks. Sorry for the :thread

Joe Diaz

It depends on your color management settings in X3, but since I see you are designing in RGB, I'm assuming you were using Draw's default??? If so in X5 you may want to go to "Tools" -> "Color Management" -> "Document Settings" or "Default Settings" (just depends on whether you want to apply this to everything or just the X3 file you are trying to work with), Then where it says "Presets", change that to "Simulate Color Management Off" See if that helps. If it's just blacks you are having an issue with, there is also a setting called "Preserve pure black". You could try using that.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies, and sorry for not responding sooner. I made changes to both from your suggestions and feel like I am closer, but still not there. I have the display on my screen better, however some of the colors "look" off on screen, but print close. For instance, my green looks like a lime-green, but still prints green.

Back to my original issue, I still can't print rich black. I've tried the versaworks blacks and every combination of cmyk, rgb and every kind of way to export I can think of with no change. I typically design everything with CMYK, but there are certain colors that I can't seem to hit so I will design them in RGB.

The last thing I printed that I wanted a rich black on, I went to my old computer, X3 designed it, converted it to a bitmap and then sent it from X5. That worked fine, but is too much of a hassle for doing every job that I need to print black on.