• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

truck detailing before lettering?

petepaz

got a box truck job, have to remove the old lettering and clean it up but the customer wants to have it detailed afterwards before i letter it. the truck has some small cosmetic things he wants to spruce up before we re-letter it. some scratches, a little rust around the rivets on the back door. no problem by me but here is my question... once they do the detailing, buff stuff out maybe some paint touch up and then they wax it what kind of problems will i have sticking the lettering to the truck? should i wait a certain amount of time before i letter it or will it be ok when i wipe it down with denatured alcohol then letter it? usually most guys i deal with either go to the car wash and just get a regular wash or they have fleet wash come in and clean their trucks then i letter them up no issues.

Billct2

Why not have the detailer remove the old graphics, clean and prep it.
Then you letter it and it goes back to the detailer for waxing?

petepaz

the customer is a friend of mine and has given me a few jobs so trying to help him out. the guy doing the detailing quoted him like $600 to remove the lettering when i can remove it with my vinyl zapper in a couple hours for $200

sagesign

I think most buffing compound is silicone free, but I would check with the detailer first. Should be able to hit with denatured alcohol and slap vinyl on right away ( as long as it is silicone free. If not it may take a couple of wipe downs with paint prep then the alcohol).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I tried that reasoning with my dentist. I told him I could do the mouth cleanings easier and faster with my vinyl zapper. Only problem is, I only had one customer who could do it, so far. Ended up, not saving the guy any money. Talk about sit up and spit....... he was hooked up to a garden hose and it still wasn't enough.

attachment.php

Attachments

• big mouth.jpg
    big mouth.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 143

decalman

I wonder if the box truck can handle reflective vinyl off to destroy the vinyl, without leaving stains on the paint? Those eraser wheels make me queasy. I've made some burns with them

I would go to the 99 cent store, and get some alcohol, and then grab some paper towels, soak thoroughly, and then remove wax, on the area where the letters go.
If paint comes off on the paper towel, then I apply brakes. and come up with something else. ( like praying) :smile:

ams

Do not put vinyl on wax. Tell him you have to de-wax the area you will be putting graphics on. Because they will fall off.
Also if it gets new paint, I always heard to wait 1 - 2 weeks before applying vinyl to new paint.