• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Truck Lettering

qmr55

Hey guys truck I laid out for a client this morning, the logo is already set in stone I did not design that...they've used that forever.

Any critiques before I call him to stop in and take a look?

:thankyou:

Attachments

• clean cut truck.jpg
    clean cut truck.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 91

petesign

Why not utilize the stripe and put some text in it? If you are going to draw someone's attention to part of the truck - put something useful in there. Web address, phone number, etc.

Jillbeans

I can't see it either, too small.
Maybe try a white outline or even a pale blue outline around the logo?
It's hard to critique something you can't see.
If the maroon stripe is not part of the truck already I'd eliminate that.
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

I do hope you get to redesign a great logo like the work you do in the future.

Although the layout looks neat there some things I would try or also present.

1.... phone # if area code were a thin stroke or took up less room you would have a larger 7 digits area code is only reference the 7 digits is what needs to have strength.

2... lawn care, landscaping, snow plowing .. might fit on bed length wise and larger.

3 ... a 3rd option place logo on man door, phone# on back door, menu on bed should allow everything to be seen better and a good flow.

qmr55

Stripe is painted on the truck already. They had it at a painter around here for almost a month waiting for them to put the logo and phone number on and all they did was paint the stripe. Needless to say they didn't leave it there any longer and now I have a truck with a stripe...

Edit: Panels are removed from the doors on the side so they won't be in the way.

vid

I like the last layout better.

I gotta ask, does the truck look good with the maroon stripe in real life?

Heck go for an eye popper - stripe (1/2") the maroon with a golden yellow (PMS123) and outline the logo with the same yellow. ???

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did anyone ever tell you not to letter that near the bottom of a vehicle ??

I know it's done, because the computer has given many designers the ability to do things wrong. Notice, I didn't say stupid or dumb, although those would've been my first choices.

When you're not utilizing a complete truck and just doing a logo and some secondary or even tertiary copy, going that low is just plain wrong.

• First of all, most people don't clean down there and even if they did, it's always dirty from tires turning and going round and round on wet and dirty surfaces. Therefore, your copy always looks crappy and you the business owner looks like he didn't care enough about his own business to keep his truck nice, how/why are you gonna let this guy fix your toilet, cut your grass or remodel your family room ??
  • Also, it gets nicked up pretty darned fast down there.
  • Best part is, you're working on a 2D surface, while the truck is 3D and down there it starts rounding under, therefore making your copy look distorted.

Some of you people just need to stop and get outside and smell the roses and look at the real world in real time and get the heck off your computers. It's a lot different out here than in that little stuffy room with your monitor and printer machine. I think you guys are smelling too much of the wrong fumes these days. :omg:

qmr55

Did anyone ever tell you not to letter that near the bottom of a vehicle ??

I know it's done, because the computer has given many designers the ability to do things wrong. Notice, I didn't say stupid or dumb, although those would've been my first choices.

When you're not utilizing a complete truck and just doing a logo and some secondary or even tertiary copy, going that low is just plain wrong.

• First of all, most people don't clean down there and even if they did, it's always dirty from tires turning and going round and round on wet and dirty surfaces. Therefore, your copy always looks crappy and you the business owner looks like he didn't care enough about his own business to keep his truck nice, how/why are you gonna let this guy fix your toilet, cut your grass or remodel your family room ??
  • Also, it gets nicked up pretty darned fast down there.
  • Best part is, you're working on a 2D surface, while the truck is 3D and down there it starts rounding under, therefore making your copy look distorted.

Some of you people just need to stop and get outside and smell the roses and look at the real world in real time and get the heck off your computers. It's a lot different out here than in that little stuffy room with your monitor and printer machine. I think you guys are smelling too much of the wrong fumes these days. :omg:

So complete vehicle wraps are a no-no for you then right?

I have done and seen trucks with copy that low that hold up for years no problem and still look fine.

qmr55

It'd be a lot better if you could read "clean cut"

Agreed, but its their logo...nothing I can do. Already suggested a logo re-design but they are stuck on the idea that changing the logo will make them less recognizable. Even after I explained why I think a "cleaner" logo (no pun intended) would generate more interest!

Dan Antonelli

Convert to grey scale, and then you'll see what the challenges are with the legibility of the logo. You've already stated they won't change it, but it's a shame and a wasted opportunity for the client.

qmr55

Convert to grey scale, and then you'll see what the challenges are with the legibility of the logo. You've already stated they won't change it, but it's a shame and a wasted opportunity for the client.

Thanks Dan! Agreed it is a wasted opportunity.

qmr55

Ask them if they would consider changing their name color from green to white.

I like that! Thank you Jill, calling them now.

Attachments

• clean cut truck2.jpg
    clean cut truck2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 65
  • clean cut truck.jpg
    clean cut truck.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 70
  • clean cut truck3.jpg
    clean cut truck3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 74

Craig Sjoquist

The way I mentioned you have not tried go back to post #7 and re read.

The stripes are nice but copy in them is way to low.

Your there is many wraps with copy low and it looks like garbage, why cause you 1st want your above center and also do not want your eye falling off the bottom plus when low like that you do not read it. You always want copy away from bottom of any sign advertisement which very few designers even think about it unless they are experienced.