• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trying to create a gradient in flexi

gabagoo

I must be missing something when I try doing gradients in Flexi. For instance I have a file a customer sent with a simple gradient. The file prints poorly so I thought I would recreate it, should be simple....NOT!!

OK If I click on the shape with the colour that came in when importing and then go to my fill stroke editor, I can see the colour there, but if I click on gradient it jumps to 2 colours (red and blue), OK thats fine I can just change them to this new colour and white and create the gradient. The problem is I can't seem to find the colour that I originally started with as it is not part of any of the pallets I have open. Is there a way to find that colour? I know it should be pretty straight forward but I have no clue where it is hiding. Help? I should probably add this.... when ever I click on the gradient option it always shows me the built in fills flexi comes with and then it always seems to default to this red and blue gradient. There must be a way to use the imported files colours to create what I want

thewood

In order to use a color within a gradient, the color must be part of your swatch table. This can be annoying at times. If you add, the color to your swatch table, then go to the gradient editor, the new color should be available (typically the last color in the table unless you've moved it).

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You can import the object with the gradient you're trying to duplicate right along side the object you're trying to create with the duplicate gradient. Select the new object and use the eyedropper tool and click anywhere in the gradient you imported. This will reproduce that gradient in the new object.

You can also shift-click the eyedropper tool in a gradient and it will just pick up the color of the pixel under the eyedropper. At least it's supposed to. It never works all that well for me. It always seems to produce a rather muddy version of that color.

Flexi leaves a lot to be desired when dealing with gradients in that once a color is selected for a node on the gradient unless you remember exactly what color you used you'll play hell trying to determine exactly what it was.

Also be sure and select CMYK for your gradients. Then you will at least stand a chance of having the nodes on the gradient match that same color used elsewhere as a vector fill.

Drip Dry

I know this doesn't help with creating a gradient, but I always found that
when printing a gradient, it prints much better if you rasterize the gradient first. This may be all you need to do with the customers file.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
when printing a gradient, it prints much better if you rasterize the gradient first. This may be all you need to do with the customers file.

If you have to convert a gradient to a bitmap you're doing something wrong.

In Flexi in the Production Manager be sure and use either 'Enhanced' or 'Super' as your Smooth Blends selection. If you use 'Normal' you'll get all kinds of weirdness, especially if you have a gradient that goes to white. Selecting 'Enhanced' or 'Super' doesn't seem to add any noticeable time to the RIP. Even if it did, it would be worth it.

Set the rendering intent for gradients to either 'Spot Color' or 'No Color Correction'. Anything else can and will shift the colors.

Also be sure to select CMYK for your gradients and not RGB. CMYK produces much more reliable and predictable results.

gabagoo

That is true and I thought I would but when I open the file in illustrator I know what I am seeing is not correct so thats why I decided to recreate it myself, and I am not an illustrator person so I figured I better do it in flexi.

Gene@mpls

You can also shift-click the eyedropper tool in a gradient and it will just pick up the color of the pixel under the eyedropper. At least it's supposed to. It never works all that well for me. It always seems to produce a rather muddy version of that color.

Thanks for a great tip Bob- I have fought that problem a couple of times. If
I might ask... from where did you glean that info? I have been looking for this
kind of tips on hot keys (other than the ones in the book) with little luck.
Thanks Gene

gabagoo

If you have to convert a gradient to a bitmap you're doing something wrong.

In Flexi in the Production Manager be sure and use either 'Enhanced' or 'Super' as your Smooth Blends selection. If you use 'Normal' you'll get all kinds of weirdness, especially if you have a gradient that goes to white. Selecting 'Enhanced' or 'Super' doesn't seem to add any noticeable time to the RIP. Even if it did, it would be worth it.

Set the rendering intent for gradients to either 'Spot Color' or 'No Color Correction'. Anything else can and will shift the colors.

Also be sure to select CMYK for your gradients and not RGB. CMYK produces much more reliable and predictable results.
Thanks Bob, Just wondering, I checked that setting and it is on enhanced and up to now I have never chaged it. Can you tell me when I should? For instance if I am printingspot colours should it be in normal and what differences will I notice? This learning curve never ends, thank God for this site yeaa

Sign Works

color mixer? do tell more....

I dont use the software exclusively and only for print so I am not 100% up to operating status with it

Click on the icon that looks like a paint palette.

Attachments

• MIXER.jpg
    MIXER.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 147

thewood

Nice tip, SignWorks. After all these years, I never knew that was possible. I love learning new methods. Thanks again!:notworthy: