• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UL label for 3M vinyl

FASTSIGNS

Hi all,
Printing a large job for an airport and they are requesting the fire rating + MSDS for our vinyl (3M IJ40C + 8510). No problem - can get info from 3M site. They are also requesting the UL rating and to have the UL label visible. Has anyone any experince with this? This is only a graphic (vinyl +lam) install on walls and elevators doors. I have a call into our 3M rep. TIA

Glavin_ID

As far as I am aware, most "commercial" films for stuff like wraps, walls, and color changes are not UL rated. A lot of their "industrial" films are UL rated because of the types of products they go on/in. I would be interested to hear your 3M reps feedback as well though.

fresh

I feel like people don't understand what UL is, and how it applies to our products. You might need to send material out for flame testing on your own. We had a hell of a time dealing with a client who didn't understand that the material we were using had flame certifications. They wanted us to spray the material with a product that had the exact same flame rating as the item came with. It was driving us mad.

FASTSIGNS

3M responded that they do not have UL rating for the vinyl+lam. They did provide a ASTM E84 flammability testing. That seems to have satisfield the customer. Thanks everyone.

ikarasu

https://www.orafol.com/en/americas/products/orajet-3105ht We use orajet, which is UL and CSA approved when we couldn't find a UL approved from 3M. This is their high tac version, which our customer likes... There is also a non high tac version available.

A few companies require UL/CSA label certification. 3M does make a vinyl that is UL/CL certified btw, it's part of their label line... it only comes in 10 FT rolls IIRC... so our supplier was going to cut it down for us. . We found out about it after we sold our client on orafol, so we didnt pursue it.