• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unclogging Dx4 Heads.

Charly L

For folks that have worked on unclogging dx4's. Can I use warm/hot distilled water? If using an ultrasonic, would you use solvent cleaner or distilled water? An ultrasonic holds a lot of liquid. Also, I have fluid coming out the sides of the metal bracket that holds the teflon plate in place. Does that mean the bracket is not tight enough?

Charly L

1/2 black head is working, recovered both blues once i changed the cap tops. Yellow & both magentas 95-99% gone.

Charly L

Here is a pic

Attachments

• 20170217_113250.jpg
    20170217_113250.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 712

printhog

NEVER NEVER NEVER USE AN ULTRASONIC CLEANER ON DX SERIES HEADS. The weld line on the piezo elements is very close to the jetting plate. Ultrasonic energy will destroy the welds almost instantly.

If you ran these thru an ultrasonic you've likely killed them. I did that with my first used Roland purchase and lost all 6 heads.

If you haven't ultrasonically cleaned these I can give you some steps on how to clean and a source for head cleaning machines. Let me know.

its only a freaking sign!

Charly L

That be great. Haven't ultrasoniced them. Here is a pic of how i have them soaking in Roland solvent cleaner.

Attachments

• 20170305_220522.jpg
    20170305_220522.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 719

heyskull

I have had very little good results trying to unclog print heads on DX4s.
Sometimes their is other issues and the nozzles have failed causing the clogs.
I realise new DX4s are becoming harder and harder to source and maybe it would be a good idea rather than wasting hours and hours trying to clean heads, it may be time to buy something with a newer and more reliable print head.

SC

Charly L

Here is where the leak is on this dx4. It's at the top/sides of the bracket that holds the teflon plate

Attachments

• Resized_20170306_123039.jpeg
    Resized_20170306_123039.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 738

printhog

There's really not something there that should leak. But above that are two ports on the port riser. The tiny seals between the manifold riser and the head body often dry out and leak, and the ink flows down to the steel ring. Often inexperienced users buy heads that have seals for water based ink, and they dissolve with Eco Sol ink. Both seal types are suitable for aqueous inks and mild solvent inks like dye sub, but the eco Sol ink requires the better seal. Price of seals $5 for set.
If the leak is not from the manifold connection, then it's a serious failure that requires new head.

Charly L

I changed the manifold. One of the nipples broke. I purchased a solvent manifold. The leak is from that (aluminum?) Bracket that holds the teflon plate. I'm assuming that the flushing solution comes out the bottom where it's supposed to and since the plate covers the edges of the bottom it comes up the sides. Maybe pressing the bracket in from the sides? Sounds to simple. But i'll give that I try.

printhog

The aluminum ring is just a protective retainer. The heads function without it.. but there are two tiny mm screws that set into nuts that are held by potting cement.. they hold the manifold on. If you don't get the nut on there right it will leak. Take the manifold back off, reseat the seals into the head, put the manifold back on and check that you've got both screws set into the nuts. Once done, gently push flush fluid thru the head and look for leaks. If the leak is where you think it is, the jet plate has fractured and it will squirt out the side. If so... New head. If not, check for good seal and reinstall.

Megagrafix

President
NEVER NEVER NEVER USE AN ULTRASONIC CLEANER ON DX SERIES HEADS. The weld line on the piezo elements is very close to the jetting plate. Ultrasonic energy will destroy the welds almost instantly.

If you ran these thru an ultrasonic you've likely killed them. I did that with my first used Roland purchase and lost all 6 heads.

If you haven't ultrasonically cleaned these I can give you some steps on how to clean and a source for head cleaning machines. Let me know.