• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

used SP-540i Worth buying ?

Morph1

Print all
Looking at a purchase of a used printer approximately 1300 hours in pretty good condition...
Is it worth buying ? what is a high print time count in means of print hours for SP's?
Is it pretty much half it's life span at 1300 ? I know nothing about Roland printers,
but they seem quite affordable and user based reviews are satisfactory...

any thoughts?

Thanks

Morph1

Print all
it's for $8000 without takeup system, still waiting for the service report... how many hours is lots ? , ya gonna laugh but I work with a jv3 that has over 19 km of vinyl run, and it still runs...
Looking at newer but used Roland to replace old JV3 which is showing it's wearing.

Morph1

Print all
8,300 Hours that is fairly a lot lol, check this one out I just printed JV3 report it has now 20.5 Km of linear vinyl run and total of 18,349 hours lol , this thing is like a tank.
So is that a good deal for that Roland for $8000 having only 1,300 hours ? sux it has no take up system...

Robert M

Sp 540i

If you are buying used from a dealer with a warranty that may be ok. I sell lots of used equipment and I think that's about 1k too much, OEM take up is another 2k and a good aftermarket take up is 700.00
As an example you can pick up a new Mutoh Valuejet 54" with take up and a two year warranty for 11k. It has the newer head and is 3x faster than that Roland.

Morph1

Print all
Robert, where would I get the aftermarket take up system ? and in regards to Mutoh what printer model is that ? 1324 ?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We sell a good after market take-up system for the Rolands. Feel free to PM me for a quote. But like RobertM said, if you can afford the Mutoh, get it. It's faster, better quality, easier to maintain, has fewer service calls per year on average, and the take-up system is by far the best in the industry in my opinion.

Morph1

Print all
We sell a good after market take-up system for the Rolands. Feel free to PM me for a quote. But like RobertM said, if you can afford the Mutoh, get it. It's faster, better quality, easier to maintain, has fewer service calls per year on average, and the take-up system is by far the best in the industry in my opinion.

now you have me thinking...

I do not have much experience with mutoh at all , but I also heard from other users that these are great printers...
What I really don't like about Roland is that it takes so long of default printer prep to the point of printing... it's like when you are sending a job,
you gotta wait like almost 10 minutes for all the cleaning cylce, circulating inks, estimating inks etc... it's nuts, the most I ever wait on old JV3 from a point of push power button ,having a job sent to the printer to actually seeing print starting is like 1.5 minute at maximum...

I like the quality that comes from Roland, but I also seen the quality that comes from Mutoh , both printers carry the same head type...
I am undecided now , but I would really like to give a try to Mutoh printer

Robert M

Mutoh 1324

Yes I was talking about the 1324. It has a top speed of 500+ SFH, that Roland is maybe 100+. The 1324 has the later DX6 head with 8 channels in one head. The Roland has two of the DX4 heads (same heads as your old Mimaki which actually has 4) The newer Epson heads have the ability to produce a larger number of variable drops which give higher quality transitions.
So at the end of the day the Roland is going to be slower than your Mimaki with the same old technology. PM me and I'll send you info on the take up.

FrankenSigns.biz

Roland printers are TANKS. Insane reliability. Service and parts are widely available. You have my blessing to buy, for what that's worth. :wink: