• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using 3m Ij35 On Vehicles?

ProVogue

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone, or does anyone us IJ35 on Vehicles? The stuff is cheap and I can do a basic sign or sticker for a car really quick - I'm just wondering if this is a mistake to be using on a vehicle? Thanks!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We use it for temp stuff. Mostly for auto dealers when they want to run a promo or set up a demo car for test drives.
It will stay on a month or two. Comes off without issues.

wayne k
guam usa

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
IJ35 IS NOT MADE FOR VEHICLES, if it fails or damages your paint, its your fault for using cheaper alternatives. It is a mistake to use that on a car, yes it can be done but why not use the right material for the job?

DJr

Minimum ij40c with 8508 lam but totally agree with AKwrapguy stick with a cast product always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Depends what you're doing with it. We use it, and have for years (IJ35C) for lots of car graphics. It is perfectly fine for print and cut logos, etc, on cars or trucks. Good for up to 5 years, with laminate, and have had zero issue. No I would not wrap a car, or partial wrap even, with it, but for anything else it is fine.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Depends what you're doing with it. We use it, and have for years (IJ35C) for lots of car graphics. It is perfectly fine for print and cut logos, etc, on cars or trucks. Good for up to 5 years, with laminate, and have had zero issue. No I would not wrap a car, or partial wrap even, with it, but for anything else it is fine.

I was strictly referring to car wraps, using it for car decals and small logos is probably fine.

ikarasu

You can use anything you want for vehicles.

But what's the difference between ij35 and 180, $.50 - 1 a sqft? I'd rather pay the extra$5 to print a logo on a material that won't shrink, and is rated for vehicle grade, and not worry the customer will be back in a year or two because the decal is starting to peel off.

Word of mouth is key in this industry. If your customer is happy after 5 years, you'll probably earn more profit of one recommendation than you'd need to spend using proper materials for them 5 years.

PhilaWraps

this is great for me.... you keep using this junk and your customers will just call us.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
this is great for me.... you keep using this junk and your customers will just call us.

And I don't think any of my customers will be calling anyone in PA. LOL.
And you missed the part where I said I have had ZERO ISSUES.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
That is a chart referencing PROMOTIONAL vinyls. Next.

Did you notice where it says IJ35 and how it has ZERO check marks next to Vehicle Graphics? I understand you have success with it, I am just telling the client it's not made for that application, which it totally is not. If you call 3M, that is what THEY will tell you about their material, that was my point.

Attachments

• ij35.JPG
    ij35.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 296

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Did you notice where it says IJ35 and how it has ZERO check marks next to Vehicle Graphics? I understand you have success with it, I am just telling the client it's not made for that application, which it totally is not. If you call 3M, that is what THEY will tell you about their material, that was my point.

I have seen issues! I have a trailer company that puts advertising decals on the horse trailers they build. Each trailer gets a package of approx 8" x 8" decals. Years back I explained the difference between cast vs calendared etc... They decide to go with calendared obviously from a budget standpoint. IJ 35 and 8508 combo was used. I have other customers that we do similar decal sets for in cast materials (either IJ180 of avery 1105 with their corresponding laminates). After a couple of years the IJ35 decals showed a little shrinkage and looked less than perfect. This has never been an issue with any of the cast decals. I had a discussion with the customer, quoted him the cast price and as of the last year he has switched. I feel better about it and so does he.

Its all about expectations, and if you have been around a while, longevity becomes more important when you see the work you produced holding up.

"Zero Issues" can mean a lot of things. Just because nobody came back with an issue doesn't mean there were none. I have unhappy people walk in our door all the time and not the place they are unhappy with.

Like most here just use the right stuff.

ikarasu

It boggles my mind why some people cheap out on vinyl.

I've worked for a big company for years, I've done hundreds of vehicle decal installs, box wraps, you name it. Just the print quality alone, not even install quality... But the way the decal looks on ij35 compared to 180 is day and night.

I started my own side business, and someone wanted me to use ij35 for a bunch of decals for his car... I told him no, that even if he didn't mind it, I don't want my name to be associated with shoddy work.

If his friend says your decal looks like shit, or your wrap is bad... Do you think he'll say "yes, I cheaped out" or do you think you're about to have your company bad-mouthed and blamed?

The only thing we use ij35 on is real estate signs we know will be up for less than a few months. 180 + 8518 is $1200 Canadian (I imagine you Americans get a much, much better deal). $1200 / 675 = $1.77 per sqft. So your 24 x 24 decals will cost you $7. Ij35 would cost probably half that. So you save $3.50 on a job your probably making over $100 on with an install. Is it really worth it to go with cheap vinyl?.. even for huge decals, it's not much more cost efficient to use ij35.

Our shop been around for 20 + years. I can't count the number of times I've had to redo something on one hand due to failed vinyl (been there over 2 years). I don't have enough fingers / toes to count the amount of times someone has come in to get something redone from another shop, that used callandered vinyl, or cheap vinyl that was peeling, or cracking, or fading in then two years.

Callandered material has it's uses... Putting it on a car isn't one of them. Do your customers a favour and bake the extra few bucks into your quote, and use cast.. even if they're cheap and opt for callendered.