• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using Pvc for hanging sign

David Wright

I have four signs I will be making to hang from a scroll bracket outside.
General sizes will be 28" wide by 36" tall, double sided.

Can I use 12mm (1/2") pvc/sintra for this and expect no warping or other issues?

Billct2

I like the idea of 1", both for rigidity & weight.
I have bonded two pieces of 1/2" together to make a 1" thick panel

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
If using 1 inch, make sure you have the bracket anchored well, and if on a pole, make sure it's in the ground really well. That's a lot of weight over time and we have all seen our fair share of drooping, hanging signs over the years. If I were going to make a sign like that, I would fab up the hangers that would clamp the panel on both sides too so it didn't rip out the holes the first storm that came along.

I make all of my hanging sign out of two pieces. I cut a 5/16 grove in the back of the signs and embed 1/4 steel rod bent to a shape of horseshoe with ends bend to eyelet . I use pins and epoxy to join two panel together.

Attachments

• IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 112

Zac

Mediocre Designer
I make all of my hanging sign out of two pieces. I cut a 5/16 grove in the back of the signs and embed 1/4 steel rod bent to a shape of horseshoe with ends bend to eyelet . I use pins and epoxy to join two panel together.

I've done something similar. In my case it was 1/2" PVC and routed a groove in the back of only 1 sign and hung it using aircraft wire through the groove and then just joined the panels back to back. It worked great and was self leveling. then we just slid PVC pipe painted silver over the aircraft wire and mounted using ceiling tile clips. Looks great after 2 years still.