• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV printhead left uncapped for 26 hours, and how do you deal with anxiety?

depps74

I did a manual cleaning on my ROLAND UV printer, thought I closed it all up and left the shop. Came back today to see it did not complete the cleaning cycle after the manual cleaning. Apparently the cover was just off the sensor, so the printer thought it was still off. I ran a test plot (all heads firing fine) did 2 regular cleanings and manual clean and a medium clean. Printed a photo and all seems well.

I am a worrier, so I am worried this did some long term damage I can not see yet?

Also just a note on worrying. Does anyone else out there get anxious during printing? I do my best but we print large murals on deadlines that are last minute. Usually huge ones too for major players. The pressure and the timing is so immense and leaves for so little mistake that my nerves are shot after a long run. Just curious if anyone else had this and overcame it? Ive tried meditation excecise and healthy eating. I don't drink or any of that. Just lookin for some good ole sign maker wisdom here too.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Doubtful it did any damage, it would have shown up right away.
You're lucky it was a UV printer, a solvent one would have took some effort to get back running. I'm assuming it was dark in the shop while the heads were off the caps. If any UV light, like sunlight through a window, or fluorescent lighting would have gotten to it, you might not have been so lucky. That's one of the advantages of UV in a case like this.

Some people have more anxiety than others, it's something that's hard to overcome. I used to get frazzled, but over the decades I became the opposite, now I'm a bit of a procrastinator who works best under pressure. Just focus on whatever task is at hand, make checklists of things you tend to overlook when you're under pressure if you need to, if you need to walk away for a minute just to clear your head, do it. Always better to get a minute behind with a clear head than hours because you rushed and missed/ messed up something. Customers can get into a mindset that everything should be pulled off a shelf and handed to them too. If that's the case, you always have to relay to them that the more time you have between artwork approval and deadline on large custom prints, the smoother things will go, and the less chance for errors or delays. Because things will go wrong, equipment will fail, always at the worst time, and you can't change that. Or you could just take up drinking like the rest of us
Cheers:toasting:

depps74

Doubtful it did any damage, it would have shown up right away.
You're lucky it was a UV printer, a solvent one would have took some effort to get back running. I'm assuming it was dark in the shop while the heads were off the caps. If any UV light, like sunlight through a window, or fluorescent lighting would have gotten to it, you might not have been so lucky. That's one of the advantages of UV in a case like this.

Some people have more anxiety than others, it's something that's hard to overcome. I used to get frazzled, but over the decades I became the opposite, now I'm a bit of a procrastinator who works best under pressure. Just focus on whatever task is at hand, make checklists of things you tend to overlook when you're under pressure if you need to, if you need to walk away for a minute just to clear your head, do it. Always better to get a minute behind with a clear head than hours because you rushed and missed/ messed up something. Customers can get into a mindset that everything should be pulled off a shelf and handed to them too. If that's the case, you always have to relay to them that the more time you have between artwork approval and deadline on large custom prints, the smoother things will go, and the less chance for errors or delays. Because things will go wrong, equipment will fail, always at the worst time, and you can't change that. Or you could just take up drinking like the rest of us
Cheers:toasting:
thanks so much for the words of wisdom! Good to know about my UV too, it was in a semi dark room, no direct sun.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
xanax works pretty good for anxiety
No doctor visit or prescription required... ;)

1710803402097.jpeg

Rmurray321

Problems come with built in features, called solutions. Whatever life throws at you, unless you’re dead, you can probably work through it. The more problems that you encounter, the more shit you know how to deal with.

somcalmetim

I have a pretty good knack for pulling cool shit off at the last minute but after 25+ years its running a bit thin.
Be better soon when the golf course opens up...run my own mostly online shop so last couple years I work steady/late all winter and get up early to walk a round of golf with some diehard crusty old bastards before work in the summer. Found a course where I can get out as early as 6:30am some days to walk 18 and be to work by 9:30-10:00...good exercise that gets me out of the shop and I can even usually pick up enough sign/design business around the club to pay my membership...

MacD

The problem is everyone in today's world thinks they can have now. Been printing offset, digital, and wide format since 1987. It is getting more stressful in today's world. If you have problems longer to get parts on offset side. Pretty much all digital now but if issue comes up seems to many companies do not have enough technicians or they have so much time off from years of work they are off the day you need them, waiting extra day for tech to come and if you need a part they don't have another to get that in, ugggghhh. I just try and balance it all and a good prayer helps. Retirement can't come soon enough. All we need is a few extra days and a lot of this would be better.

damonCA21

9 times out of 10 when you get that customer who orders on the 2nd and say they absolutely need it on the 3rd, when you tell them the 6th is the earliest you can do it they say oh ok thats fine :/