• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vector colors change importing from flexi to photoshop- why?

AUTO-FX

Forgive me, i'm new at photoshop, but a long time user of flexi. When i import a vector file from flexi into photoshop, the colors change dramatically. What's the deal with this? Can i change a setting in photoshop to be color synchronis?

TIA
-Chris

AUTO-FX

ahh, good question. All i know for certain is that i apply color to the vectors from pantone library in flexi ( cmyk ). I dont see an option for specifiying color mode when exporting files. Where would i be selecting cmyk/rgb other than my color pallette?

okay, i see on the photoshop side the "rasterize eps format' window gives you an option.

Last edited:

AUTO-FX

Are files coming out of Flexi RGB regardless of what color pallette i am using in flexi?
Also, if these are basic questions with answers i should know already i apologize. I'm having trouble making the "transition" here from flexi vector to adobe raster. Perhaps some Lynda classes this weekend.

Rooster

You want to ensure your color settings are the same between PS and flexi.

I'm not sure what flexi offers in that department, but your RGB and CMYK working profiles should be the same and you should always ensure the "include input profile" box is checked when saving files so the software isn't guessing at which input profile to use when you open the file somewhere else.

I suspect your color settings are different between the two applications and it is the likely cause of your color shifts.

AUTO-FX

yes, i think you're right. thanks, i'll be looking into that when i get back to work tomorrow morning! i'll be sure to post my findings.

thewood

Are files coming out of Flexi RGB regardless of what color pallette i am using in flexi?

No. If a color is CMYK in Flexi, then it will export as CMYK. Also, don't forget that in Flexi, you can have both RGB and CMYK colors present in the same file. If you are working in CMYK mode in PS, then you need to change all your colors to CMYK colors in Flexi prior to exporting or there will be a marked color shift when you open the file in PS.

When working between Flexi and PS, I typically design in RGB values in Flexi, export the vector art as an .eps and either open the .eps in PS in RGB mode or place the .eps file into an open RGB document.

jfiscus

Rap Master
In photoshop you can change your color settings under: Edit > Color Settings
Also, it may help to throw Adobe Illustrator in the middle of this mix... Open with Ill & resave as an EPS. I recall having issues with using exported EPS files directly from Flexi.

PatrickW

When working between Flexi and PS, I typically design in RGB values in Flexi, export the vector art as an .eps and either open the .eps in PS in RGB mode or place the .eps file into an open RGB document.

I came across this thread - forgive me as I'm trying to work thru this too. What about when you export back to Flexi to set up a contour cut? Any special steps need to be taken when saving the PS file and opening in Flexi?