• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vector / Vexel inspiration (cool stuff)

Kyle Blue

Cool website. But I'm always a little weary of this kind of stuff. A lot of people think that because they took a photo and ran it through Live Trace in Illustrator they can call it art. I'm not saying that these people did. But its possible on some of these. If they started from scratch though, that's impressive.

Joe Diaz

Cool website. But I'm always a little weary of this kind of stuff. A lot of people think that because they took a photo and ran it through Live Trace in Illustrator they can call it art. I'm not saying that these people did. But its possible on some of these. If they started from scratch though, that's impressive.

I'm pretty sure those were all hand done (well by hand I mean without trace software). Trace software can't get those results. It takes a human touch.

signswi

Very clearly all done by hand, it's super easy to tell the difference between a live trace and a hand trace. Hand trace will have very clean lines, live trace will have all sorts of really awkward transitions on the edges.

Kyle Blue

Very clearly all done by hand, it's super easy to tell the difference between a live trace and a hand trace. Hand trace will have very clean lines, live trace will have all sorts of really awkward transitions on the edges.

This is true, but live trace will get you there faster by doing most of the leg work. I've done this kind of art in the past (way before live trace even existed) and it took hours and hours to do. But I've seen art where someone slapped a photo into Illustrator, ran live trace on it, smoothed out the edges, and was like "look what I did". To me that's just cheap.

But I think your right the images on this link are of a higher standard and it looks like they put a lot of time into it.

signswi

You can tell the differences in the choices made beyond the smoothness of the lines. Where the shapes are chosen, etc. Humans tend to make more aesthetic choices than live trace as to where to set the divides. It always burns me up when I see some big project that could have been beautiful but a lazy designer destroyed the concept with live trace.