• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Magnet Supplier

Phenex

Have a customer looking for vehicle magnets to go along with banners. Not something we do. But do get asked now and then.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
One of the many Merchant Members here at s101...... or why don't you just ask a local sign shop to partner up with you and sub them out ?? Cost is minimal on them, but you can make a good buck selling to the end-user.

Phenex

Thanks Gino. Nobody local does this. I have looked at the merchant members but was hoping someone could recommend one that they have used. I hate flying blind.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hmfph....... just googled sign shops in your town and a bunch come up offering this service.

Yeah well...... try Merritts.

Phenex

Thanks Gino I will.

Should have said nobody I want to partner with. Plenty of shops - mostly franchise.

Again Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That makes more sense.

Ya know, if you've been asked before, why don't you just buy a 24" x 25' roll and this first pair of magnetics will more than pay for the entire roll with money left over. You have printers, so just print it on vinyl and apply it to the magnetic. Wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am..... you're done before ya know it and now you've managed to keep it in-house and can make more profit on them.

Phenex

That's a hell of an idea. I didn't want to run magnetic material through the printer, but the vinyl and apply, that could work very well. A few more orders and pick up a corner cutter.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We used to hand-paint them. Then, we graduated to die-cut vinyl, then to digitally printed vinyl applied and now we print directly to the magnetic with our flatbed. If you wanna give some extra umphf, you can laminate with rigid lam or spray clear. I prefer the spray.

Magnetic material cuts like butter. Trace a quarter around the four corners and cut it with a scissors. Takes an extra 20 second per piece. Less than a minute for a pair.

mark-s

I make 12 X 24 and 18 X 24 digital print then apply to magnet material, 1 inch corner rounder all 4 corners all the time.
Did a few 20 round ones hand cut with xacto knife for a tire shop not long a go.
mark-s

Phenex

What magnetic material do you all use as a base?

My local supplier has Magnum Magnetics DigiMAG. Any recommendations on which strength? They have 15 mil through 30 mil available. Been to the Magnum site and see they are different magnetic strengths. Nit sure what works best on vehicles. Don't want to cheap out and have them fall off from wind, but don't need overkill either.

Thanks for the suggestions.

What magnetic material do you all use as a base?

My local supplier has Magnum Magnetics DigiMAG. Any recommendations on which strength? They have 15 mil through 30 mil available. Been to the Magnum site and see they are different magnetic strengths. Nit sure what works best on vehicles. Don't want to cheap out and have them fall off from wind, but don't need overkill either.

Thanks for the suggestions.
030 would be the carmag material..

Brandon708

We just print on vinyl and apply to Magnum Magnets and round the corners.

You can send them my way but I'm over an hour from you. It's probably something you could do. Almost all sign shops can do magnets.

T_K

I've done tons of the magnetics. We'd print and laminate vinyl, then apply to the magnetic. Trim to size, and you're done. These can really have a great profit margin on them if you do it in-house.

One thing to warn you about, applying them takes a bit different technique. Because the mag material comes on a roll, it tends to curl on the edges where it had been rolled. So it makes it slightly more difficult to apply the vinyl. But with a little practice, it's easy.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I've done tons of the magnetics. We'd print and laminate vinyl, then apply to the magnetic. Trim to size, and you're done. These can really have a great profit margin on them if you do it in-house.

One thing to warn you about, applying them takes a bit different technique. Because the mag material comes on a roll, it tends to curl on the edges where it had been rolled. So it makes it slightly more difficult to apply the vinyl. But with a little practice, it's easy.
You can solve that by keep a thin sheet of steel in your graphics room. When you need to make a magnet, throw the steel on your production table and put the magnet on it to keep it flat during application. Easy-peasy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can solve that by keep a thin sheet of steel in your graphics room. When you need to make a magnet, throw the steel on your production table and put the magnet on it to keep it flat during application. Easy-peasy.

That's what we do to get it to go through the flatbed...... flat.

Even back in the old days, when I was hand-lettering them, I stuck them to a piece of steel and painted it either flat or on an easel.​

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We also have a 20mil High Energy matte white magnet that is 10% stronger than the standard 30mil car sign material. You also save 17lbs per roll vs the 30mil. This has been very popular with our car sign folks.
Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We also have a 20mil High Energy matte white magnet that is 10% stronger than the standard 30mil car sign material. You also save 17lbs per roll vs the 30mil. This has been very popular with our car sign folks.
Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

How does that stuff take flatbed inks ?? Do you have sample pieces I could try printing onto ?? I'm looking to replace my current supplier. Does it come flat or shiny ??

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
How does that stuff take flatbed inks ?? Do you have sample pieces I could try printing onto ?? I'm looking to replace my current supplier. Does it come flat or shiny ??

I'm not sure but I can get you a sample to try out no problem.