• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Wrap - Best Squeegee To Use

Jake Howard

Hi Guys,

Just looking for thoughts on the best squeegees for vehicle wraps. As our current squeegees are lasting one or two wraps.

Is there a high quality brand that lasts for longer, or where is the best place to grab felt replacements from.

Cheers

Jake

ams

How are you wearing out a squeegee that quickly? I buy squeegees every 6+ months and felt ones about 4+ months.

AaronSSsignsKC

I keep a 3m P.A.1 a golden squeegee with felt in my bag all the time they both tend to last a lot longer than one ta two wraps personally but. I have also started to use geek wrap stuff to a buddy of mine gave me a few of their squeegee and I like them a lot they seem to be really expensive for a squeegee but they are nice and glide well and tend to last a while.

Bly

It was a bit hard for the window lickers to send them all the way to Oz though.
Try Wetedge. They are as good if not better and available here.

TimToad

We use the thick felt pad ones in varying firmness from Sign-Mart for nearly all of our squeegeing. If we are hand mounting anything we spritz the surface with a little water and the difference in how much less things get scratched is amazing.

I use to stay late and use plastic polish on panels because a former employee used to grind away on hand mounting everything dry with aged 3m golds with that tiny little felt strip on it which after a few uses wears through to the tip.

The felt pads absorb the water as you go and stay moist over the course of the job and then dry out between uses.

We stock the 3M silver, gold and Teflon ones and use them a little, but I'm sold on the big felt pads.

jlowe

Multiple tools

I don't find using one single type on a complete vehicle is best, I usually keep 3 types on me while installing ( 4 if you include a wrap glove)

1. Avery Pro-flex Red - great for most installation and when wet - glides great while allowing flex in minor curves.

2. 3M Gold - for when I need a bit more pressure in spots

3. Teflon 6 inch - I use this tucking in tight areas but careful because it can cut the vinyl with too much pressure.

When you have multiple "weapons in your arsenal" it'll make them each last longer because each has it's purpose and you don't damage a soft squeegee when you need a hard edge, etc.

I even have multiple knives in my bag depending on the project.

jfiscus

Rap Master
All of our installers primarily use Geek Wrap squeegees now, but they still keep oddballs like Golden Squeegees and the standard 3M blue ones around in their pouches also.
They also use the little hooked chopped down squeegee things for tight areas... can't remember their names.

joelswork

I just got back into the business after about 6 years off. Back in the day I only did interior wall installs and installs on glass, now I'm working doing fleet installs and a lot of color change wraps are included in that. Back then it was all about the gold 3m and a lot of the guys at the shop now were only using the gold 3m. I've been experimenting with different squeegees and pads for a few months now and usually have 3-4 in my pouch. One of my favorite odd balls is the economy white ones with masking tape over one edge. Another is a suede pad over a Teflon for wet applications but I don't use it enough...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Geek Wraps here..... still use a solid felt block for certain things and areas as well as 3M gold but probably 90% using a Geek Wraps one and very often with it wet.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
The expensive brand mentioned have a really thick buffer that tends to lose it's softness within a few wraps. It also cannot bend since it's teflon.
Here is what is ALWAYS in my pouch. I make my own micro-suede buffer strips but they are pretty much identical to the "Monkey Strips" available.
I found felt wears down too fast, velcro ...nope, and the suede those expensive ones use gloss over & get sticky spots.

Black (Magnetic) OR (3M PA-1 Gold) (if you don't want magnetic)
Red Pro Flex (Avery)
Teflon (Lidco)
Mini Hang Loose (Yello Tools)
Wrap Glove (Edge Wraps)
Monkey Strips & sometimes Nylon strips (Walmart...shhh it's a secret)
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160523_123233.jpg
    20160523_123233.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 2,043

audrey

Hi Guys,

Just looking for thoughts on the best squeegees for vehicle wraps. As our current squeegees are lasting one or two wraps.

Is there a high quality brand that lasts for longer, or where is the best place to grab felt replacements from.

Cheers

Jake

HI! You guys answers are interesting but i'm still wondering where is the best place to grab felt replacements from. I also use the avery blue one but we just started with the wraps and i'd like to buy just the felts... Thank you!

boxerbay

My favorite is the geek wraps wet edge suede side wet for installs but the other side teflon is too hard and tends to scratch the vinyl.
I like the 3M gold squeegee. On the second side I tape a piece of cotton tee shirt. We buy the bag-O-rags cotton tee scraps so i cut a square and wrap it on to the edge with tape.
The avery blue is ok but the felt edge wears off quickly and then scratches.
Gotta have a felt half moon squeegee in there too.

Depends on what your doing. Having a good mix of tools like the other poster has.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
The expensive brand mentioned have a really thick buffer that tends to lose it's softness within a few wraps. It also cannot bend since it's teflon.
Here is what is ALWAYS in my pouch. I make my own micro-suede buffer strips but they are pretty much identical to the "Monkey Strips" available.
I found felt wears down too fast, velcro ...nope, and the suede those expensive ones use gloss over & get sticky spots.

Black (Magnetic) OR (3M PA-1 Gold) (if you don't want magnetic)
Red Pro Flex (Avery)
Teflon (Lidco)
Mini Hang Loose (Yello Tools)
Wrap Glove (Edge Wraps)
Monkey Strips & sometimes Nylon strips (Walmart...shhh it's a secret)
attachment.php

Are you in the PDAA or do you know Rob Ivers? I used to work with Rob and he taught me to use the Walmart Bondex adhesive backed nylon patches 15 years ago. They work good for about one wrap and then you burn through the edge and leave adhesive streaks. They are cheap, $5 to cover 8 squeegees.

My favorites are the WetEdge or Geekwraps squeegees. They are expensive but they last a long time. I buy them in 10 packs to save a buck or two on the squeegees and shipping. I know installers that buy the WetEdge squeegees and take off the buffer and install it on their favorite squeegee (more or less flexible) Also, don't use the black Geekwraps squeegee with water. Over time it will rust because it has a piece of steel in it. It was designed to work with the powerslam magnets.

Because these squeegees are expensive you will want to maintain them. Rubbing 2 squeegees together works for minor nicks. When that isn't enough you can use sand paper (220 followed by 600 grit) or a Hard Card Shapening Tool from 44 tools.

Squeegees are a personal choice and there are lots of options especially in the DIY area; Walmart Bondex, loop Velcro, Monkey Strips, RollePro felt and fleece, Teflon tape, Solskin, YelloWings...

I think the WrapGlove is the best glove out there. For me it lasts the longest, machine washable, works the best, and the most reasonably priced.

I love the YelloMini and Hang Loose squeegees. I have both but you can cut down your old squeegees and make these yourself. Heat with a heat gun and bend if desired.

oksigns

I use 3M gold and the blue Averys, but now I use Monkey Strips as my go to general purpose replacement strips.

Aside from Monkey Strips, I order occasionally from a felt manufacturer here in the states, Sutherland Felt Company. Their 16oz white poly is a good replacement for the 3M Power Grip, but their 1mm is too weak for wrapping tasks. Surprisingly, they manufacture Felt squeegees in a variety of sizes and shapes(like the crescents) that are awesome. Cut them down to whatever size and shape you want, but, for me, Monkey Strips all day long.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Are you in the PDAA or do you know Rob Ivers? I used to work with Rob and he taught me to use the Walmart Bondex adhesive backed nylon patches 15 years ago. They work good for about one wrap and then you burn through the edge and leave adhesive streaks. They are cheap, $5 to cover 8 squeegees.

My favorites are the WetEdge or Geekwraps squeegees. They are expensive but they last a long time. I buy them in 10 packs to save a buck or two on the squeegees and shipping. I know installers that buy the WetEdge squeegees and take off the buffer and install it on their favorite squeegee (more or less flexible) Also, don't use the black Geekwraps squeegee with water. Over time it will rust because it has a piece of steel in it. It was designed to work with the powerslam magnets.

Because these squeegees are expensive you will want to maintain them. Rubbing 2 squeegees together works for minor nicks. When that isn't enough you can use sand paper (220 followed by 600 grit) or a Hard Card Shapening Tool from 44 tools.

Squeegees are a personal choice and there are lots of options especially in the DIY area; Walmart Bondex, loop Velcro, Monkey Strips, RollePro felt and fleece, Teflon tape, Solskin, YelloWings...

I think the WrapGlove is the best glove out there. For me it lasts the longest, machine washable, works the best, and the most reasonably priced.

I love the YelloMini and Hang Loose squeegees. I have both but you can cut down your old squeegees and make these yourself. Heat with a heat gun and bend if desired.

No I've never met Rob. I don't remember where I got the tip for the nylon patches.
Those wet edge squeegees are just too thick of a buffer once you've tried just the micro-fiber suede with double sided tape. The lidco teflon squeegee's are the same thing but without the annoying green and black ink logo that gets on your hand and only cost $2.39. Though I could probably add the price of a brand new squeegee in every wrap job I do if I wanted to LOL
A yard of that fabric and a roll of double sided tape will make a 5 to 10 year supply of buffers. Combine with the unbranded same quality squeegees and there ya go.
The yellow wrapglove is NOT the best anymore and are way too tight for my hand. The Black Edge Wraps glove (now also rebranded by Vvivid) come in 3 sizes and last waaaay longer than the yellow ones. I mean way longer. Also..they're black. I would definitely recommend trying one. Contact Edge Wraps in Michigan and talk to Roy Nethaway.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
No I've never met Rob. I don't remember where I got the tip for the nylon patches.
Those wet edge squeegees are just too thick of a buffer once you've tried just the micro-fiber suede with double sided tape. The lidco teflon squeegee's are the same thing but without the annoying green and black ink logo that gets on your hand and only cost $2.39. Though I could probably add the price of a brand new squeegee in every wrap job I do if I wanted to LOL
A yard of that fabric and a roll of double sided tape will make a 5 to 10 year supply of buffers. Combine with the unbranded same quality squeegees and there ya go.
The yellow wrapglove is NOT the best anymore and are way too tight for my hand. The Black Edge Wraps glove (now also rebranded by Vvivid) come in 3 sizes and last waaaay longer than the yellow ones. I mean way longer. Also..they're black. I would definitely recommend trying one. Contact Edge Wraps in Michigan and talk to Roy Nethaway.

Cool, I will give Edge Wrap Gloves a try. They yellow color of the WrapGloves is my only gripe about them. They get dirty and fade with use and washes.

I have tried many different combinations of material and squeegee's and stopped trying to make my own. I know they are expensive compared to home made but, it's the cost of doing business and I do everthing in my power to make them last.

My only real gripe is that there needs to be a flexible version of the WetEdge or Geekwraps squeegees so they can conform to slight curves better. I carry the lidco blue squeegees. They are softer and will glide over printed graphics like the Teflon squeegees. Another benefit is that when installing masked graphics in the hot summer sun, they don't pickup the residual adhesive off the mask and transfer it to the vehicle. Specifically the 3M SCPS2 and a 3M gold squeegee. They're really soft and wear out quickly though. In quantity you can get them for less than a $1 a piece.