• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

versaworks not seeing image in illustrator file

bayviewsignworks

I have a big image file placed in illsutrator but when I bring it into VersaWorks it's not there. There are are other elements in the illustrator file like type and boxes but no transparencies that I can see. I tried flattening it and it's too big to rasterize.

OADesign

After you "place" an image in illy, I believe you need to "Embed" the placed items or else it will not appear in your export. When you place the image, illy only sees it as a link to the original, to help keep file size lower. Then, assuming you export a file to be printed, VW cant see (or parse) that same link. You can tell if your image is embedded by how it is displayed in illustrator. "Placed" images will show a bounding box with an X through he middle. When you "Embed" an image, the "X goes away.

WildWestDesigns

After you "place" an image in illy, I believe you need to "Embed" the placed items or else it will not appear in your export. When you place the image, illy only sees it as a link to the original, to help keep file size lower. Then, assuming you export a file to be printed, VW cant see (or parse) that same link. You can tell if your image is embedded by how it is displayed in illustrator. "Placed" images will show a bounding box with an X through he middle. When you "Embed" an image, the "X goes away.

Yes and no. Right before you place an image in the design field, you have a check box to either have it linked or not or as a template (for manual tracing) or not. If you uncheck link, it will directly place it in there from the get go. Also Ai tends to remember the last option chosen, so that check box should still be unchecked the next time you go to place an image.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
If the ai or eps file is in the 600mb to 1gb range...likely you have your file embedded and theres something wrong with the file itself. Like others have said above you need to check the Embed box when saving files in that manner otherwise a linked file wont be found.