• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Very Small Cut Letters Graphtec CE3000-60

binkdesigns

I'm cutting out some very small standard style captital letters little bit less than 1/4 inch and having a hard time finding the correct setting that will be the most effective for weeding.. I am using a 60 degree blade with Oracal 651 Vinyl and currently have my settings on

No.Tool : 09U
Offset : 0
Force : 16
Speed : 15
Quality : 1

It cuts decent I just run into problems weeding it out and the letters sometimes snagging. Anyone have any suggestions on other things I could try out? This is a 6,000 decal order, if it was just a few no biggie, but I'll be here days weeding!

royster13

Sound likes the wrong way to be producing an order of that quantity....Could these be screen printed?....

dbenec

some software has an 'overcut' feature that completes the cut of the letter, then goes a little past the start/end point to avoid the tiny pc. that's left snagging the vinyl - as you said.

after not seeing 'overcut' in my software (LXi) and calling tech support - they said to bump up the 'offset' - which i see you have listed.

first i'd change the offset and do some test cuts.

another option - which you can do in addition to the offset setting or by itself is weed only the centers of the letters and numbers. mask the graphic. pull the mask back - then weed the rest off the mask (balance should come off as one pc.). i have had the smallest things stick that way including punctuation, etc. small things will stick to the app tape way better than to the backer sheet.

good luck - that's a lot of weeding!

Rickey J

What I do if they are smaller than 1/4" is dont weed each letter. Just cut the letters with a box around them that way you can mask and apply to the surface. After you have applied to your surface then weed the left over box around the letters. If I am going to be giving them to a customer I will weed out the middle of each possible letter such as and A,R,D, etc. See if that works.

binkdesigns

What I do if they are smaller than 1/4" is dont weed each letter. Just cut the letters with a box around them that way you can mask and apply to the surface. After you have applied to your surface then weed the left over box around the letters. If I am going to be giving them to a customer I will weed out the middle of each possible letter such as and A,R,D, etc. See if that works.

Total wish I could do it like that but not an option..

cgsigns_jamie

I don't know if your plotter can do this but when I cut really small stuff I use the tangential emulation feature on my FC8000. Helps to make sure all the corners are nice and square.

Sign to Go

I don't Know if this is a special or specified font but maybe you can use a font that has a connection from the outside of the font into the "middles" like maybe ERAS or some stencil type font. For easier weeding.

Jim

signage

Jamie gave you the correct info for the setting to possibly being able to cut those! Font selection could also make a huge difference!

CES020

Any chance of subbing them out to someone like Stouse? They are setup to die cut stuff like that, no problems. I don't know what they use or how the do it, but the stuff I've seen wasn't cut with a plotter. It might save you a ton of time and money.

Just something to think about. They are fairly quick too.

binkdesigns

I don't know if your plotter can do this but when I cut really small stuff I use the tangential emulation feature on my FC8000. Helps to make sure all the corners are nice and square.

I found that on my plotter but unsure what settings to put it at.. I've tried just about everything.. Everything has been cutting out nice until now.. The small letters are starting to cut more jagged, I've changed the blade and can't figure out the problem there..

Mosh

Round the corners of your design, less snags that way, and at that size no one will notice.

RiXaX

With a new sharp blade, 16 is way too harsh a down pressure.
I'd back it down to 12 and add a bit if needed.

JesperN

Here is little tip that we use at our facility:

When doing small vinyl letters and numbers (smaller than approx. 8 mm. in height), first cut the letters with a sharp knife with high angle (09U on Graphtec cutters are fine) at a low speed (a speed between 5 or 10). Be very carefull setting the correct cutting force. Set it so that you can just barely see a very light tough of the knife on the backingpaper if you do a test cut and peel it.

Once cut, applicate it with applicationtape. Flip it over and remove the backingpaper. Now you can peel off all the vinyl around and inside the letters. Then put back the backingpaper and do the final cleancutting if needed. Done. It is a bit backwards than doing normal larger vinylletters, but the applicationtape helps keeping the small letters in place rather than the slippery backingpaper :).

/Jesper

Shift Designs

Here is little tip that we use at our facility:

When doing small vinyl letters and numbers (smaller than approx. 8 mm. in height), first cut the letters with a sharp knife with high angle (09U on Graphtec cutters are fine) at a low speed (a speed between 5 or 10). Be very carefull setting the correct cutting force. Set it so that you can just barely see a very light tough of the knife on the backingpaper if you do a test cut and peel it.

Once cut, applicate it with applicationtape. Flip it over and remove the backingpaper. Now you can peel off all the vinyl around and inside the letters. Then put back the backingpaper and do the final cleancutting if needed. Done. It is a bit backwards than doing normal larger vinylletters, but the applicationtape helps keeping the small letters in place rather than the slippery backingpaper :).

/Jesper

Tried this technique out today. Worked Great! Thanks guys!

jiarby

you gonna do that 6000 times?

I'd suggest using an actual die press to die cut these! Did you charge enough to jo it out to stouse? They have die cutting equipment.

Car dealer decals?