• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl For Aircraft

jmmccann

Has anyone done any vinyl decals for aircraft? Our little shop is getting some bigger clients and there has been talk about some vinyl decals for aircraft. I just wondered if anyone else had done this and what type of vinyl they used for it. My main concerns are the life of the installed graphic and safety....ie. I don't want vinyl peeling off in-flight.

Jeff.

rjssigns

I think this was discussed previously. What I gathered is it's best to talk to an FAA certified person about it. AFAIK anything added to the outside of a plane has the chance of altering flight characteristics. Best to have all your ducks in a row when doing anything with aircraft.

OldPaint

IF......i remember correctly.............
when ORACAL HIT THE MARKET one of their advertising posters ........was C-47/DC-3 covered in ORACAL LETTERING)))))))

jzorn

have it cleared by the FAA certified mechanic for THAT airplane. It has to be signed off in the airplanes logbook.

visual800

I have used oracal 651 it was done on a piper about 8 years ago, still on there. Guy flies every week

Techman

you have to watch for tiny ports on the body. They regulate different things on the plan. That is why you should consult with an A&P mechanic to be sure not to cover any of those ports. Most average installer do not know where they are.
No vinyl does not alter the flight characteristics.

you cannot use regular vinyl on pressurized aircraft that fly above 13,000 ft. For high altitude you have to use special aircraft vinyl. That is the rule because of the expansion and contraction and air under the vinyl problems.

Rivets are a pain to deal with on small planes. However there is a small niche for this kind of work. You can put it anywhere on the plan.

The real problem is.. plans fly in the air and up there is plenty of dirt and oil vapor, paint chalking and other junk. You have to clean the plan very well.
Many plan owners are going back to paint. It simply last years longer.

Have a good time ...

rjssigns

you have to watch for tiny ports on the body. They regulate different things on the plan. That is why you should consult with an A&P mechanic to be sure not to cover any of those ports. Most average installer do not know where they are.

you cannot use regular vinyl on pressurized aircraft that fly above 13,000 ft. For high altitude you have to use special aircraft vinyl. That is the rule because of the expansion and contraction and air under the vinyl problems.

Rivets are a pain to deal with on small planes. However there is a small niche for this kind of work. You can put it anywhere on the plan.

The real problem is.. plans fly in the air and up there is plenty of dirt and oil vapor, paint chalking and other junk. You have to clean the plan very well.

Have a good time ...

Well I was close.LOL I knew there was something regarding approval/inspection.

John Butto

Have a good time ...
It's a bird, it's a plan....Sunday funnies

Last edited:

knucklehead

I've made two sets for planes, back when Oracal had 851. Handed them to the owners, and said do whatever you want to do with them, I've never seen you before in my life.

jzorn

The vinyl "N" numbers have been on my plane for over 20 years and they are fine. No problems at all. Standard high end oracal.