• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for stickers

Tim Aucoin

:banghead:
YOU SAID........"Now, show me a manufacturer who will CUSTOM BRAND the liner with my company logo & info and then this is a topic worth discussing!!"
AND I SAID........"if you got a printer............print your OWN COMPANY NAME/LOGO on the back of blank liner DUH)))))))))))))))))))))))
BLANK LINER..........being optimum word)))))

I respect that! Still won't work on Latex (I've tried it)! :rock-n-roll:

J Hill Designs

Customers don't even notice (or care) about branding on the liner in my experience! Now, show me a manufacturer who will CUSTOM BRAND the liner with my company logo & info and then this is a topic worth discussing!! :clapping:

hexis does it

jaybeeb

Concept 203 gloss or 201 matte by general formulations. Blank liner and works great. Get it from Fellers under those names or Grimco under Brite Line name. Can laminate with oracal 210 or 200

I tried this combination, but it shrinks so fast. 2mm in some places after a week indoors.. I know it's cheap material, but is this normal?

Does the Oracal 3164g shrinks as much if you laminate with 210?

jaybeeb

Even un-laminated stickers with a kiss cut have a 1mm gap now in some places where the kiss cut is. These stickers where made just a few days ago. Is this normal for the 203? Can anyone suggest a product that isn't going to shrink like this? Do I need to use a cast vinyl and laminate?

jaybeeb

My most recent prints have been set aside for about 24hrs before laminating or cutting.. still, there is a small amount a shrinkage. We are printing black to the bleed, so it's easy to see.

tsgstl

First off why is it a issue if it shrinks?
Just remove the waste and no one will ever know they shrunk.
Usually a little shrinkage makes it easier to weed. I have notice slight shrinkage with just about every combination of vinyl and or laminate. Usually weather plays a big roll. Liner has very little adhesion to the vinyl itself so when you cut it, it is going to shrink. Full bleeds especially black (which more than likely is layers of all colors not just black ink) are going to shrink slightly. If cut properly just pull up all extra vinyl leaving only the stickers and then separate. Keep in mind that it will stop shrinking, it's not going to just keep shrinking. And if you have 2mm of gap half of that is coming from the vinyl on the outside of the cut, IE the decal is only shrinking half of that. That does sound like a awful lot of movement though. Go to the 3164G and a corresponding lam and this will not be nearly as bad.

Remember as George Costanza knows, if it is cold it will shrink.

jaybeeb

I am die cutting though the liner, there is no weeding involved. Thing is I have die cut stickers here from other sources that have been sitting around for who knows how long with no shrinkage whatsoever. I want to produce the same results.

J

john1

All calendered digital vinyl will shrink, If you don't want shrinking get cast and charge for it.

Magnetic sheeting has calendered vinyl on it and shrinks too, It's just like these stickers...a low end product that holds up but not as good as something more expensive.

jaybeeb

john1, do you mean you see shrinkage days after printing? The manufacturer and distributor seem to think this should not be happening and that it's a drying issue. I personally don't mind changing to cast if that is the solution, but if it is a drying issue, that would be better to solve I think.

The distributor suggested I could try Oracal 3640, but that's even cheaper than the 203!

tsgstl

sometimes cheaper is better, cheaper vinyl is thicker in a lot of cases which works better for DECALS
I would not suggest using cast, it just seems like a waste of money imo and I am not sure that would even solve your problem. It kind of seems like a case of "this aint working so lets just spend more money on a different material"
I have used both 3640 and 3164 both will work better and I have not noticed significant shrinking

tsgstl

For argument sake I just dug up some 3164G laminated and cut decals.
I tried to get a better pic to show the cut line but it doesn't show well. There was absolutely no shrink to it at all. These were printed then sat for 24 hours and laminated with just a cheap lam.
They have been sitting around on the liner like this for months.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 89

jaybeeb

For argument sake I just dug up some 3164G laminated and cut decals.
I tried to get a better pic to show the cut line but it doesn't show well. There was absolutely no shrink to it at all. These were printed then sat for 24 hours and laminated with just a cheap lam.
They have been sitting around on the liner like this for months.

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it!!

ZooBear

Hi guys I'm new here and needed some help... I've been making wall decals for a year now by my self and just learned that my job would be a lot easier with a transfer applicator rather than a sqeegi.... Budget is under 1000 any recommendations?