• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for wallpaper

msenjur

hello.

which vinyl do you use for wallpapers?

im using oracal 3165 and 3164HTG + 210SG or 215SG.

sometimes clients return to me, because vinyl pell off. it ususally start to pell off in corners.

i always apply it on fresh, dry painted wall, and sometimes it holds well, but sometimes it start to pell off...

what could be the reason? 3164HTG has really strong glue and it started to pell off...

Attachments

• received_671957021027440.jpeg
    received_671957021027440.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 230

signheremd

A lot depends on the paint. Full cure on paint is usually 30 days - that is off gassing has stopped. Best to always do a test to see if it will stick or which to use. We have used 3164HT Mac Tac Rebel 528 High Tack, and General Formulations 226HTR (high tack and removable, love this stuff) and 234 Wall Fabric. We put one up with IJ40 3M vinyl that was provided to a customer that is a part of a franchise - that went on freshly painted and stayed well.

Wall must be cleaned as it usually has some dust on it. Applying a bit of heat can help it stick - heat gun and a roller is what we use.

3164HT is a good material, but may not have been the right choice for that wall. (Even 3M recommends testing before choosing a vinyl.)

Hope that helps.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
For wallpaper - we use Dreamscapes Wallpaper.
For wall wraps - it depends on the texture of the wall - either 3m IJ35-C for a smooth surface, or if it's textured we would use 3M IJ180

msenjur

yeah... i cant get phototex in our country...

For wallpaper - we use Dreamscapes Wallpaper.
For wall wraps - it depends on the texture of the wall - either 3m IJ35-C for a smooth surface, or if it's textured we would use 3M IJ180

also 3M is also hard to get. IJ180 is a wrap vinyl....

I can get oracal, hexis,... I can get oracal by meters, so i prefer oracal.

d fleming

yeah... i cant get phototex in our country...

also 3M is also hard to get. IJ180 is a wrap vinyl....

I can get oracal, hexis,... I can get oracal by meters, so i prefer oracal.
See if you can find anything similar. Vinyl will give you grief as to where the non vinyl solutions tend to fare better on painted sheetrock.

msenjur

does alcohol cleaning do much? i have never cleaned it with alcohol... i use dry towel if there is some dust, but if it is fresh wall, i dont clean it at all...

why 3164HT isn not a good choice? isnt stong glue most important?

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Using Drytac's Retac range of wall films will save you money and time. The films are 6mil thick and are 'semi-rigid' meaning there is no stretch and lots of stability. The films come in a smooth, Canvas, Sand, and Linen finishes which look way better than a laminated vinyl as the textures hide the imperfections in the wall. Best of all, the adhesive is 'permanently removable' meaning you can put it on a wall and remove it without damaging the wall years later. Comparing these films to the cost of laminating a vinyl and you will come out ahead in terms of overall performance, looks, removability, and price.

Precision

California has low VOC paint. Everything wants to come off, so we used to always wall test first. Even then it would peel on occasion. So you have the time invested in the trip for the wall test, then the trip for the repair, all while busy with other work and installations. What a time suck. Plus the money lost when we'd have to reprint on a better vinyl.

We'd usually end up using 3m1j180/8520. 80% of the jobs I'd say.

So, we just go straight there now. 3M Ij180/8520 inside, 8518 outside, unless the client or situation requires otherwise. No money doing wall tests or repairs, and the time saved is money saved.

Last edited: