• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Removal Tools - MBX Little Zapper? Others?

MarkH42

If you like reading in the "horror" genre, read my recent post "Premask left on vinyl too long". After hours and hours spent with a variety of chemicals and techniques, we simply cannot remove the premask from the vinyl and we have 160 linear feet of 18" stripe (Oracal 751) with premask left on it to remove. These are along the top edge of 3 semi-trailers. I am considering buying the MBX Little Zapper and getting 6 or 8 wheels. We have to be careful with chemicals because there are other graphics underneath the top stripe that need to be preserved, so that is why I am focusing on a mechanical method.

Have any of you used this machine, or another one like it for this sort of thing? Do you think the tool will work on the premask just like it does on the vinyl (not removing premask from the vinyl - removing premask AND vinyl)? The paint job on a semi-trailer is probably not as durable as a baked-on factory car paint job - is there danger of removing the paint from the trailer?

The manufacturer says it will remove 35-50 SF per hour. We have 240-250 SF to remove and if I thought it could be done in a day by one person I would be happy with that. Any input will be appreciated!

2B

agree the steamer is a GREAT investment.

word of cation, look for a steamer that you add water to without it having to cool down or make sure it has a LARGE water tank

rjssigns

I agree with 2CT and 2B. I use a Wagner 705 power steamer. IIRC the reservoir holds 2 gallons. Less than 50 bucks at Menards. I know there are pro models out there, but this works and is cheap to replace.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The zapper will do just fine, but it will take a little longer with another layer to go through. However, you'll most likely damage the orange stripe in the process. What has made the premask so determined to remain on ?? In the past, we would use plain water to remove stubborn premask. Nothing more, nothing less and it come right off in huge patches.

printhog

mbx zapper cant be controlled enough to assure you wont damage the underlying stripe. If you know what kind of premask was used, contact the maker and ask what to do for this issue. I would ask what solvents are used in their glue or get their msds sheet to see. Then get some of that solvent and soak the premask for sometime. It should rewet the adhesive and it should release better. Unless it was a defective roll, in which case they are liable and will likely help you as much as possible.
as for tools other than MBX.. i recommend steamers to soften the matrix. then use a 4" Zinser window scraper to get between the vinyl and the premask, spray copiously with 90% isopropyl alcohol and hold the scraper at a 15 degree angle to the surface and approach the film at a 30 degree angle to plow thru it in sweeps. Dont push the blade into the matrix, sweep it in like a squeeging movement.. As you go to wet the blade edge as much as you can.. wetter is better.. Youre basically tying to 'slice' the adhesive layer off the vinyl without destroying the vinyl.