• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ-1604: Perplexing issue after new printhead

kalel52

Finally had to replace the original printhead that came with the unit. Pretty good run considering I think we bought it in 2007. Having an issue that has me completely stumped. Hoping someone can help. Story so far:

Replaced the printhead- Powered off the unit, unplugged it completely, pressed the power button down to drain the rest of the power. Removed all the stuff in the way, installed the new head and put it all back together. Pressed the power button again to put it in the OFF position and plugged it back in. Powered it on in maintenance mode to enter the new head rank, printer accepted it without an error, prompted to do an ink charge and say yes. About 30 seconds into the charge and the motor on the station seizes up. Curse loudly and order a new maintenance station.

Install new station- Powered off the unit, unplugged it completely, pressed the power button down to drain the rest of the power. Swap out old for new, done this 50 times by now so no biggie. Powered back on and double check that the head rank is the new one and it is. Power on in normal mode and printer immediately says an ink charge is necessary. Say yes and the new station goes to work. I have the right cover off so I can visibly see the station pumping tons of ink through the waste tubes. Enough ink that I was worried about going dry but it was fine. Saw all four colors at different points before it eventually all looked black. Awesome.

Try a nozzle check and nothing, not one drop. Figure it's the FCC cables because I had a hard time putting them back in and they are very old so I ordered some new ones. Left the printer on so it would auto clean once a day since it's a new head and I know the the station works.

Install FCC cables- 99.9% sure I did this correctly. Powered off the unit, unplugged it completely, pressed the power button down to drain the rest of the power. Removed old ones and used them as a guide for the new cables. VERY careful with the install and it went great. Powered up machine and tried a nozzle check and nothing. Bummer, but....

Then I decide to run a cleaning cycle and there is ZERO ink going through the waste lines even though I just witnessed it flow with ink a few days before. I drop some cleaning fluid on the cap to check that the pump is working and it is, fluid flowing through the tubes but still no ink. Put some fluid on a swab to gently clean the nozzles, try back to back cleaning cycles and still no ink. Swab the head a few more times and try to pull ink through the waste lines with a syringe likes many times before but still nothing. I'm totally stumped.

This is what I need help with. Maybe I didn't install the FCC cables correctly or maybe a blew a fuse but I'm more confused about why I can't get any ink through the head. A few days ago I just watched a whole ink charge go through the NEW head via the NEW station and now it's acting like it's clogged beyond repair. The dampers are full and there is no air in the lines unless it's hidden somewhere I've never looked.

I'm an amateur but I always thought the flow of ink was kind of a separate thing from all the electrical. What I mean is that even with a bad cable and/or blown fuse if you have a good seal on a non-clogged station you should still be able to drawing ink through the waste tube with a syringe. Is that incorrect?

I'm really confused about why there would be no ink flow at the moment. The new station pumped a full ink charge through this set up just a few days ago so I can't see how it could be a crooked head or bad seal or something mechanical like that but I also can't see how a bad fuse or cable could stop the flow of ink either.

Sorry for the length. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

unmateria

I knowed that. They are selling bad printheads and dont returning the money. I have been scammed twice from those ****. I have replaced hundreds of printheads in my life. Only have had problems with them and chinese crap. We are going now to the courts with them, so will be nice if more people have had those burning printheads from them, post here (please... Printheads replaced by qualified people, not spilled with inks, cable mesh and other skill issues)

kalel52

Did you check fuses?
Not yet. Waiting on a friend with more experience in that department to get back into town to check them.

Do you think a bad fuse can keep ink from flowing through the head during a cleaning and/or trying to pull ink manually through a maintenance station? I understand why it wouldn't let it print or nozzle check but I swear I've seen ink flow with a bad head cable before. Been a while though so maybe not.

TMAhoia

I have somewhat the same problem, my inks are flowing , cleaning is also done properly but nothing prints on my media.......checked fuses and all is well. We may have burned the new printhead we installed. One of the techs on here said it really does sound like we fried the printhead.....am ready to buy a new one, but want to be sure we find out first what could possibly fry it so we do not encounter the same problem again because these printhead aint cheap :( we have a 1324x VJ
Could it possibly be the maintenance station for you?