• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP-540 no power

Keevan

My VP will not power on at all. I was not at the shop and I can't guarantee the accuracy of the report I was given.

I was told the black head cables got ink on them and were removed. The removal was somewhat careless... The cables were sorta stripped off the backing and the metal pins were twisted and in contact with each other.

So obviously I need to change head cables and possibly the head that got ink in the connector but what reason is it not powering on?

I read I think somewhere here that the VP does not power on at all if the heads are not connected. Is this true?

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
My VP will not power on at all. I was not at the shop and I can't guarantee the accuracy of the report I was given.

I was told the black head cables got ink on them and were removed. The removal was somewhat careless... The cables were sorta stripped off the backing and the metal pins were twisted and in contact with each other.

So obviously I need to change head cables and possibly the head that got ink in the connector but what reason is it not powering on?

I read I think somewhere here that the VP does not power on at all if the heads are not connected. Is this true?
Hopefully some one else will chime in but if I remember right usually the head protection fuse will blow on the head board and I don’t thing it’ll power on if that blows.

I’m retiring my vp540 and have all parts available. Putting one of there heads into our Roland UV but everything else is working fine. Ordered a new epson 606000 and need the room

Keevan

The Vp has powered on! We changed the fuses and a couple transistors.

We have a new error. Temperature too low. is that because no heads are installed?

Attachments

• IMG-20211009-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20211009-WA0010.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 111

Vish B

The Vp has powered on! We changed the fuses and a couple transistors.

We have a new error. Temperature too low. is that because no heads are installed?
Hi Keevan. I am having the same problem on my VP540. Which transistors did you replace

cornholio

You have to measure the base-emitter voltage of every driver transistor to find out the defective one/s.
If you don't know, what this means, ask someone to fix it for you.(otherwise you will kill the board beyond repair...)

SkunkGX

You have to measure the base-emitter voltage of every driver transistor to find out the defective one/s.
If you don't know, what this means, ask someone to fix it for you.(otherwise you will kill the board beyond repair...)
Would the service manual have the measurement of the driver to know which is defective or which is ok?

damonCA21

Would the service manual have the measurement of the driver to know which is defective or which is ok?
No, they don't go into that much detail. The manual is for Roland service technicians, they would just replace the whole board as they don't replace components.
Have a look on youtube for videos of how to test transistors which will explain it. Its not that complicated to do, but you MUST do it with the board with no power in it !

cornholio

As I already wrote: leave it to the pros, if you don't undersand it...
The worst places I have been, are the ones where the customers tried to fix it themselves. (Ink all over the heads, flat cables ruined...) then they wonder why I need to replace head/mainboards for some serious money.
Best of all, you can't really imagine what they were able to ruin, because they kill parts that normally never fail...

damonCA21

The worst places I have been, are the ones where the customers tried to fix it themselves. (Ink all over the heads, flat cables ruined...) then they wonder why I need to replace head/mainboards for some serious money.
Best of all, you can't really imagine what they were able to ruin, because they kill parts that normally never fail...
Yes I know the scenario all to well! Or people who have left the power on while the prod various parts or unplug things and short out things!

SkunkGX

Understandable. But i'm in Jamaica so finding a Roland tech aint easy as well as to fly in one. I personaly service and maintain my sp540v for 5 years minus the busting 3 printheads but i gained alot of knowledge and understaing of how it works.

netsol

you might b better off sending the board to US for service. kind of a pain in the ass.
would you have a lot of trouble with customs?
we did when my former partner moved back to barbados.

it is sometimes hard to get repairs through customs

SkunkGX

you might b better off sending the board to US for service. kind of a pain in the ass.
would you have a lot of trouble with customs?
we did when my former partner moved back to barbados.

it is sometimes hard to get repairs through customs
No I wouldn't. Just have to find or contact a experienced and reliable technician in the US, do a video call**for diagnosis to determine what's what. **edited

Last edited:

netsol

No I wouldn't. Just have to find or contact a experienced and reliable technician in the US, do a video for diagnosis to determine what's what
we have had good luck with ed from inkjet performance, in georgia (there are a couple others, as well) since i stopped doing repairs
my eyesight is getting worse and my hand shakes like gene wilder in blazing saddles when i solder now

YOU COULD ALWAYS fall back on my normal routine.
watch ebay for a while and identify the power sellers who have some roland boards listed. use contact seller>ask a question.
keep in mind that nobody lists all the parts they have, there might be a board they are willing to advance exchange

damonCA21

No I wouldn't. Just have to find or contact a experienced and reliable technician in the US, do a video for diagnosis to determine what's what
I'm in the UK but am a tech and can help you remotely. Do you have a multimeter there or can you get one ( they are only cheap ). I do charge for this service to cover my time, but I can take you through testing the transistors if it helps

netsol

I'm in the UK but am a tech and can help you remotely. Do you have a multimeter there or can you get one ( they are only cheap ). I do charge for this service to cover my time, but I can take you through testing the transistors if it helps
i never noticed where you were located...
atilla is in london, as well i believe

SkunkGX

we have had good luck with ed from inkjet performance, in georgia (there are a couple others, as well) since i stopped doing repairs
my eyesight is getting worse and my hand shakes like gene wilder in blazing saddles when i solder now

watch ebay for a while and identify the power sellers who have some roland boards listed. use contact seller>ask a question.
keep in mind that nobody lists all the parts they have, there might be a board they are willing to advance exchange
If

I have heard mention of ed from inkjet performance. Seems he has good feedbacks

SkunkGX

Already done that, i have vp540i and 300i as well as rs 540 and 620 separately saved in ebay so it automatically notify me when anything is listed since these uses the same boards