• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP-540 Print Pass Banding

Morph1

Print all
HI there I was just wondering if any one prints 8 pass on vp540 ?
in Flexi this mode is described as high speed mode, however the quality is not great at all as
there is a ton of banding that can not be smoothed out by media feed compensation...
I know even on mimaki JV3 SP you can correct the banding on the fly...
Can I do the same with VP ? or can this be done only as initial setting within rip setting ?
I would like to be able to adjust feed calibration while printing... is that possible on VP ?

thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
8 pass is a very standard print settings and pretty much any printer should print well with it. You might need to run some head alignments. Also, check the profile settings. Sometimes the profile will have it's own feed compensation value. Set it to let the printer handle the feed comp if that is the case.

player

Again, with a Roland, forget Flexi. Why bother with it? There is no advantage. Use the Oracal 3651 profile, and see if you still have problems...

Morph1

Print all
Again, with a Roland, forget Flexi. Why bother with it? There is no advantage. Use the Oracal 3651 profile, and see if you still have problems...
I understand but I am so used to flexi , it's not just a rip but also a design package just like corel draw, I use flexi as I can quick color match anything on the fly, where in Versa all you can do is rip the file and print,
I am just curious if the standard print method on VP is the 8 pass or 16 pass, when I print 16 pass it is absolutely perfect, where 8 pass shows banding in the darker colors...
I will try a different profile and see if that helps, on the side note printer had been recently calibrated and the heads are aligned perfectly. I will also try to print from VW , is there a selection to print just 8 pass ?

thanks .

player

I understand but I am so used to flexi , it's not just a rip but also a design package just like corel draw, I use flexi as I can quick color match anything on the fly, where in Versa all you can do is rip the file and print,
I am just curious if the standard print method on VP is the 8 pass or 16 pass, when I print 16 pass it is absolutely perfect, where 8 pass shows banding in the darker colors...
I will try a different profile and see if that helps, on the side note printer had been recently calibrated and the heads are aligned perfectly. I will also try to print from VW , is there a selection to print just 8 pass ?

thanks .

Sure... Still design in Flexi if that is your preference, then export as an eps or pdf and print. You can do a lot with VW from a printing point of view, and from my experience it prints better. It is also not so complicated. you can choose colours from the Roland swatch in Flexi and they will print the same in VW, or you can then alter that colour to any colour you want. You can print the swatches in VS for reference. It will also allow you to print and cut you exported files if you set up your file with cut paths in Flexi, or it will cut all vectors if you want.

As I said before, try the Oracal or Orafol 3651 profile. You will have to download it and install it, but that is easy. It will only do the 720 quality. Most of the Roland profiles will do 1440 and 720, but the 720 comes out pretty nice for most things...

Morph1

Print all
Sure... Still design in Flexi if that is your preference, then export as an eps or pdf and print. You can do a lot with VW from a printing point of view, and from my experience it prints better. It is also not so complicated. you can choose colours from the Roland swatch in Flexi and they will print the same in VW, or you can then alter that colour to any colour you want. You can print the swatches in VS for reference. It will also allow you to print and cut you exported files if you set up your file with cut paths in Flexi, or it will cut all vectors if you want.

As I said before, try the Oracal or Orafol 3651 profile. You will have to download it and install it, but that is easy. It will only do the 720 quality. Most of the Roland profiles will do 1440 and 720, but the 720 comes out pretty nice for most things...

thanks man,

I appreciate your help, will play with it over the weekend.

Cheers !

Morph1

Print all
thanks man,

I appreciate your help, will play with it over the weekend.

Cheers !

One more question, I got a versaworks with my used printer from a business I bought my printer from, the current version is 4.8 I believe and what I noticed there isn't any 3M profiles for the VP540 and VW 4.8,
how could I update my VW to most current version ? is it free to update or do I have to buy it ? , Roland world is still pretty new to me as come from Mimaki industry and flexi or raster link are the rip I am familiar with...

player

One more question, I got a versaworks with my used printer from a business I bought my printer from, the current version is 4.8 I believe and what I noticed there isn't any 3M profiles for the VP540 and VW 4.8,
how could I update my VW to most current version ? is it free to update or do I have to buy it ? , Roland world is still pretty new to me as come from Mimaki industry and flexi or raster link are the rip I am familiar with...

Yes it is free.

Same as any other program. Check for updates. There is also a setting so it checks when you open it up.

Profiles can be added. They are available online. Make a folder on you pc and download them there. Then go into VW and install or import them.

VW will supply a bunch, but not 3M or Oracal etc. They do have a place on their website that they offer a lot of other profiles. I find it easy to go to the vinyl mfg site and get them there. The profiles are specific to each printer.