• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Want to make a composer font WITH color attributes?

Keith K

I need some help.

I'd like to create full color fonts and be able to convert them in to a Composer font, with out losing the color attributes in the conversion.

Anyone been able to do this?

Keith

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You should have several dozen forums into which you can start a thread or reply to a post. Becoming a premium subscriber adds a couple of dozen more forums. Here's a link to a help thread on how to start a new thread.

I am moving this thread to the Gerber software forum.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
To create a font in Gerber Omega, you need to create each glyph in Composer and then use Gerber Font Design utility to create the font. I've never tried it, but I imagine the font can carry whatever color information you setup in vector format within each character.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There is a tutorial in the premium section that shows how to use Font Designer. It does not cover how to create each of the character glyphs correctly though. You're probably looking at 10 to 20 hours to create the characters and convert it into a font.

Keith K

Thanks. I appreciate you helping me.

I've got the characters all built and I've run a few though Omega's Font Designer. But they do not hold the colors. They come though as B/W same as the other fonts in composer. (with the exception of omega's "Burgess Chrome" font, those are the type of attributes I'm looking for.

I called Gerber on this, but they said the guys that put that font together didn't remember how they did it ;/

There must be a way, they did it!

KK

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The individual characters must be saved in one directory with the keyplot naming for each file. I would then expect that they must have both print only fills and a cutpath in each character to be recognized as suitable for the Edge Font selection under styles in Font Designer and that the Gerber Edge Font will not be grayed out.

What I am experiencing, however, in testing this out is that nothing I do will cause the Gerber Edge Font check box to not be greyed out. Further, the help files for both Omega and specifically for Font Designer do not address what may be happening or provide a step by step set of directions for creating an Edge font.

I would suggest that you wait for a reply from Tony Teveris or Dana Goodale, both with Gerber, and who should know what the correct procedures are.

Tony Teveris

Let me look into this. I'm thinking that "Edge Fonts" can no longer be created because when we added the creation of Spot to Spot fills, etc we did NOT update the font generation process - reason was we found no one creating their own Edge Fonts and we had higher priorities. I'll report back ASAP

Tony Teveris

I was partly correct - we disabled Edge Font creation because of changes in the color, fill structures after GA 6.X - you must also have an "Edge Ready" system - that would be anyone that outputs to an Edge. I will bring this up in our next software meeting.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
guido.gif
Hmmmmm ... does this mean we get a rebate of part of our purchase price?

Tony Teveris

I'll give you a rebate, but I'll have to charge you for it.

We most likely we'll revamp this as thermal is our biz, our only biz these days.