• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Waste Ink

Farmboy

I wasn't able to find a thread that had been started. Just wondering what you all do with waste ink? Are there any companies that handle it or do you just turn it in at recycling events?
Thank you.

JulieS

I know there are different companies that will rent you a container to pour the ink into, then they pick it up periodically to dispose of it. You'd have to find out which companies are in your area.

petepaz

google hazardous waste removal or waste ink removal. there are companies that will come and pick it up.
depending on how much you have you can pour in to saw dust or spill cleanup compound, let it out gas/dry and throw it in the dumpster.
also check with your town, they may have a liquid waste disposal location

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned, there are companies who will pick it up on call or by a timeframe, according to your usage. In our area, the sports complex has 2 designated days a year you can drop off literally anything hazardous or not from paints, inks, computers, paper and more stuff...... and there's no limit.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Whether you have it carted off by people in hazmat suits or just toss it in the trash, it will have the same effect. None whatsoever.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not quite true. If you're caught doing it the latter way, you'll most likely pay some hefty fines. It's not always about the actual cause/results, but the rules of the game.

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
I wasn't able to find a thread that had been started. Just wondering what you all do with waste ink? Are there any companies that handle it or do you just turn it in at recycling events?
Thank you.
Get a 5Gallon bucket, fill it half way with scent free kitty litter or industrial absorbent. Dump waste Ink in carefully with gloves and safety glasses on, let sit in the sun or air dry until it’s solid, as long as it’s a solid you can toss in the trash As normal. Ive done this with all our waste Inks and have been cleared by osha using this method. Some places may be different but this is widely used.

Last edited:

Print1

Whether you have it carted off by people in hazmat suits or just toss it in the trash, it will have the same effect. None whatsoever.
Until you get reported or caught, the. They will shut you down, fine you and you get to spend the next foreseeable future under the microscope. Maybe hold back opinions when someone is searching for actual advise

TXFB.INS

Get a 5Gallon bucket, fill it half way with kitty litter. Dump waste Ink in, let sit in the sun or air dry, as long as it’s a solid you can toss in the trash.

I have heard this is the most common way

our town has a hazard drop off option that we use

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You vent off every time the printer turns on, prints etc. you can use industrial absorbent as well but honestly splitting hairs at that point
I'm telling you the law, not arguing the concept. Your printer running isn't an intentional act to reduce your waste stream. You can't even legally throw any solvent soaked rag, dry or not, into the garbage either. Not saying everyone doesn't but when someone poses a legit question, they should get a legit answer. I'm not splitting hairs, law is clear.

Print1

I'm telling you the law, not arguing the concept. Your printer running isn't an intentional act to reduce your waste stream. You can't even legally throw any solvent soaked rag, dry or not, into the garbage either. Not saying everyone doesn't but when someone poses a legit question, they should get a legit answer. I'm not splitting hairs, law is clear.
Where might one find that law? Because liquid and solvent soaked rags are far different than solids.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Pouring it down the drain is hazardous!
Solvent and Latex ink evaporates and is no longer hazardous.
UV inks need to be specially removed since they don’t evaporate.
Several customers pour there inks on cardboard garbage.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Bottom line is all that matters. If you have small amounts go ahead and use your backyard hack tricks, but you're still purposely disobeying the law and subject to fines and punishment. Do you think a company going through gallons of waste ink is gonna buy 3 million 5 gallon buckets and store them somewhere to become a kitty litter rock ?? Where do you think they're gonna get all those buckets and cat litter ?? They'll need a special detail just for that.

No, just do it right or shut up and do whatever it is you do to help the earth. Guess you people are gonna buy an EV and strap 900 D cell batteries to it and solar charge it.

Print1

Pouring it down the drain is hazardous!
Solvent and Latex ink evaporates and is no longer hazardous.
UV inks need to be specially removed since they don’t evaporate.
Several customers pour their inks on cardboard garbage.
UV inks absorb and turn to solids as outlined earlier.