• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Waterline Striping

rjssigns

If possible I need some tips, tricks, insight.

Anyone ever done waterline striping on a yacht? It is 65 feet long. It's out of the water, clean, and indoors.
I've installed a lot of vinyl striping over the years, but never on this scale.
Anyone ever cut vinyl stripe tape with knifeless tape? Hate to nick a boat that costs more than the national debt.
If anyone has a good supplier for 150 foot rolls of 2" and up tape that would be appreciated too. Only found one place so far this morning.

Note: Already informed the owners regarding my lack of yacht striping knowledge.

thewvsignguy

try restylers choice in OH. for the striping.

And if you can seal the edges with some cast laminate that will stop water from getting behind the striping.

boxerbay

no dont do that cast edge seal thing. no boats have them. it will just create another unsightly edge and could also fail or turn yellow. just use the right stuff. marine striping.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I have done some boot stripes and used 951 Cast Oracal and had my supplier cut it off the end of the roll for me. I believe that Universal also offers some stripes you can buy, available in masked and unmasked. As far as the stripes go, two person job, one squeeging, the other taking the backing paper off and gently curving the stripe as needed to make for a smooth line. Its actually not too difficult of a job. Knifeless tape would work, but won't be nearly as fast.

thewvsignguy

no dont do that cast edge seal thing. no boats have them. it will just create another unsightly edge and could also fail or turn yellow. just use the right stuff. marine striping.

It's a 65ft yacht, the water will stain the hull no matter salt or fresh water. A 1/4" 1mil unsightly edge is better then the stripe failing, again it's a 65ft boat just sayin maybe a little overkill.... Never worked with the 3M Marine stuff.

Just curious but when you wrap a boat do you edge seal? I've only done a handful of boat wraps and have edge sealed every single one where the graphic may touch the water. Is it not necessary?

boxerbay

I would follow the 3M Marine pin stripe install info. It doesn't need .25 cast laminate to seal the edge. It's a different more aggressive adhesive than a car wrap film with air egress. Because of the air egress and stretching is why you should use edge sealer on wrapped boats. Edge sealer is not cast laminate film. Its a liquid that smooths the edge of the film onto the glass of the boat so water doesnt have a way to grab. I have been around a lot of boat of all sizes and none of them have .25 cast laminate to seal the edge. It is a 65' yacht. $$$$ dont use any cheap materials. dont use oracal 951 which is not opaque. dont use .25 cast lam. The owner will ask... "what the he** is that?" do it right the first time with the right materials and the right install. If you've done everything right and it fails then you have 3M warranty.

rjssigns

I have done some boot stripes and used 951 Cast Oracal and had my supplier cut it off the end of the roll for me. I believe that Universal also offers some stripes you can buy, available in masked and unmasked. As far as the stripes go, two person job, one squeeging, the other taking the backing paper off and gently curving the stripe as needed to make for a smooth line. Its actually not too difficult of a job. Knifeless tape would work, but won't be nearly as fast.

No extra help. Just me. Thinking about using just a touch of Rapid-Tac to give me a chance to move things a bit and eliminate bubbles.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
No extra help. Just me. Thinking about using just a touch of Rapid-Tac to give me a chance to move things a bit and eliminate bubbles.

That's going to be tough. Rapid-Tac won't allow you to bend the stripe much, and will be hard to keep it wet enough for that long. Best of luck!