• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Website help (with batch converting images)

Joe Diaz

So I'm working on this website for our town's tourism department. http://www.pontiacmurals.com/

...the photos I'm using were taking by this amazing local photographer. The problem is there are a lot of them and they are all 240dpi. If I can get them down to 72dpi I can cut the load time by 66%. I don't know of any way to convert this large amount of photos to 72dpi without doing it manually which would take forever and a day. Does anyone know a simple way to do this yet still keep the images' dimensions? Free/Cheap software? Built in windows software? Or better yet does anyone have a Corel Macro that can do this?

Thanks in advance:thumb:

GK

If you are using photoshop just record a custom action for it, then go to File > Automate > Batch and open that custom action. (I know you said Corel Macro, however I figured that you might have an Adobe Suite as well)

artist4christ

Do you have photoshop by chance? if so its really super easy to do in PS.

You can record an action of changing the dpi then saving then closing.

The go to file->automoate->batch and then set your settings and run the batch command.

hope that helps, I don't know much about Corel macros.

*EDIT: beat me to the punch lol

Joe Diaz

If you are using photoshop just record a custom action for it, then go to File > Automate > Batch and open that custom action.

I actually don't own Photoshop strangely enough. I have Illy on my mac, just for testing my logos and designs on that system, but I mainly use Corel software on my PC. Anybody know how to do this on Corel? I know things like this can be done in Corel, but I have never done it.

GK

I should mention however, if I remembered correctly, it doesn't show the photo quality in ppi it shows it as a percent (like when optimizing for web in PS) so you might want to play with the settings slightly first before running a giant batch and not being happy with the quality because I am not sure of what kind of compression/conversion algorithms this program uses to do so.

Border

Here's how I do it right within Windows XP pro at least.

1. Go to the folder where all the photos are.
2. Select them all
3. Right-click on one of the selected group
4. from the pop-up menu, choose "send to" then "mail recipient".
5. A new window will pop open that gives 2 option, choose "make all my pictures smaller".
6. it will then open your mail program and magically have all those photos attached at 72 dpi, optimized for web viewing.
7. Then go to the file menu in the email message and choose "save attachments.
8. save them to a new folder. All the orignal ones will remain untouched in the original folder.

I use it all the time but it may vary, depending on how your email is set up.

Joe Diaz

GK, Border, Thanks so much for the help. Unfortunately I don't have as much control as I need with those options. The one only seems to convert it to 96 dpi, and the other method changes the dimensions too.

jhilldesigns, and artist4christ.... That is exactly what I needed. Thank you! I'm sure this will come in handy for other projects too. I had an idea that you could do things like this in Corel, but I guess I never tired. I am amazed at how easy it is.