• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weird size thing happening. Help?

threeputt

Something has happened in the last two days. Exporting .eps files created in Gerber Omega, but when our RIP software gets them they are .2" overall larger...in width and height.

I know it must be some sort of setting but can't locate it.

We use VersaWorks from Roland.

Any help greatly appreciated. Incidentally, .tif files exported to Versaworks are not changed.

Could it be in the export filter from Omega itself? Again, can't find anything amiss.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I would be suspicious of the Omega export filter.

Although not the same, I had some problems a number of years back when I tried to print an accurate 36" ruler on vinyl from Omega. The job was correct in Omega but printed gradually longer over the 36" range. When I asked Tony T. about it he replied that the source of the inaccuracy was that the Omega RIP used pixels for measuring instead of the vectors I had done the layout in and that there was no way to get a completely accurate conversion due to the actual printhead pin count of the Edge. Perhaps a similar issue exists with your Roland printhead resolution.

That never made sense to me but that is what he said. I ended up moving my vectors a few 1,000ths of an inch shorter each to compensate.

threeputt

Ok, Fred. But this problem seems to be a bit different. For one thing, we've been going along with this setup for years. (Omega to Roland Versworks).

And, most interestingly, any and all files exported only grow by exactly .2" overall.

threeputt

Have you considered that it might be the printers media feed? Couldn't hurt to calibrate it.

I probably haven't made myself clear enough.

As a test, I drew a box, 10"x10" and exported it to Versaworks to be printed. When I open it in Versaworks, the size of the file is clearly shown as a 10.2" by 10.2" file. And of course it prints that size, also.

I exported that same box as a .tif file and it shows up in Versaworks as a 10"x10" box.

I've done this from both work stations we use. Same result. EPS files are getting .2" overall added to their size.

What is your EPS Margin value set to in Versaworks?

VW > Edit Menu > Queue x Settings > File Format tab > EPS Margin

threeputt

Castek! Thanks, that was it! I set it to zero and I now get a correct reading.

Super! I don't know how that changed. But it was changed in both Queue A and Queue B.

Can it change by itself? Maybe with updates from Versaworks?

The EPS Margin value is added to all four sides of the image, in order to avoid clipping data (rounding errors). You don't need more than a value of .02 inch. You should be able to edit the value if you enter the dialog from the Edit Menu > Queue A/B Settings, and not from the Job Settings dialog. It can help with print & cut files to avoid clipping off portions of the cut path.