• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Welding in Corel?

LUV DEM TIGERS

I have the attached logo that I need to vinyl cut. I need to "weld" the baseball to the word "Diamond Dolls" so that I want have little segments where the two items intersect. I can't figure out how to weld it. When I do, I lose insides of things. What do I need to do? I am going to save the solution on this because I have had this come up a few times and just said "screw it" and have little segment pieces. But I need to learn how to do this.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Diamond Dolls Shirts.jpg
    Diamond Dolls Shirts.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 269

tattoo.dan

are the white pieces of the ball still there? if so do a back minus front on them then delete. then just select areas you want welded and click weld.

LUV DEM TIGERS

The ball currently it two circles on top of each other. The larger is filled with black and the inner is filled with white. The stitches are on top of the white circle filled in black and are separate. I can take the fills out if I need and just change the circles to outlines.

WildWestDesigns

If the black and white circles are pure circles. Minus front, so the white is then transparent and then weld those letters that touch the baseball.

If I'm understanding the situation correctly.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Assuming the "Diamond Dolls' is a single object, either text or vector, and the baseball outline is also an object merely select them both and then do Arrange->Shaping->Weld. At least the complete ball outline, the 'M', and the 'O' must be objects, the 'O' consisting of two vectors, and they all must be closed paths, in order to weld them.

If the baseball outline is an outline then you'll need to convert that outline to an object before you attempt to weld the two objects. Select the outlined object and then do Arrange->Convert Outline To Object.

LUV DEM TIGERS

If the black and white circles are pure circles. Minus front, so the white is then transparent and then weld those letters that touch the baseball.

If I'm understanding the situation correctly.

That got me closer. I did the back minus front. Then I converted the text to curves, broke the curve apart, and welded the "M" to the ball and it worked great. When I did welded the outside of the "O" or the inside part of the "O" to the ball, it made the inside segment of the ball disappear that was inside the middle of the "O".

WildWestDesigns

That got me closer. I did the minus front. Then I converted the text to curves, broke the curve apart, and welded the "M" to the ball and it worked great. When I did welded the outside of the "O" or the inside part of the "O" to the ball, it made the inside segment of the ball disappear that was inside the middle of the "O".

Was anything still grouped that needed to be ungrouped before you welded that last piece?

LUV DEM TIGERS

Was anything still grouped that needed to be ungrouped before you welded that last piece?

I did everything up to and including the "M" being welded and everything looked great up to that point. Then with the "O" I think I have tried ever combination possible. I grouped both parts of the "O" and didn't get the right result after welding. I then tried welding just the outside of the "O" still not the right result and then tried welding just the inside of the "O" and still not the right result.

I might have to get them to change there name where they don't have a hollowed out character that intersects the ball. LOL

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I did everything up to and including the "M" being welded and everything looked great up to that point. Then with the "O" I think I have tried ever combination possible. I grouped both parts of the "O" and didn't get the right result after welding. I then tried welding just the outside of the "O" still not the right result and then tried welding just the inside of the "O" and still not the right result.

I might have to get them to change there name where they don't have a hollowed out character that intersects the ball. LOL

Select both the inner and out parts of the 'O' and combine them into a single object. Then weld this object to the ball.

J Hill Designs

what I do to visualize this is put a colored square behind everything, then manipulate by combining, etc until there is no more 'white', its either the black or the background color

LUV DEM TIGERS

Select both the inner and out parts of the 'O' and combine them into a single object. Then weld this object to the ball.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner. That was what I needed to do. Thanks so much. Now I will make myself a cheat sheet on how to do this for the future. Thanks for everyone's help.

signguy 55

A lot of times, in Flexi at least, I rasterize the art and convert to bitmap and then vectorize, takes about 30 seconds.
I know you were using Corel but that seems like a lot of steps. To me you can't beat Flexi for vectorizing.

J Hill Designs

A lot of times, in Flexi at least, I rasterize the art and convert to bitmap and then vectorize, takes about 30 seconds.
I know you were using Corel but that seems like a lot of steps. To me you can't beat Flexi for vectorizing.

I'm sorry but that is a horrible way to go about it.

Same here. If I'm having trouble and no matter what I do it won't work right, or Corel is just being a d**k (which is often), I just convert to a high quality bitmap then re-vectorize.

Generally I tend to agree with this line of thinking but in this case you're adding steps and losing quality while creating a workaround that is completely unnecessary.

So you'd rather spend an extra 2, 3, 5, 10 or whatever minutes trying to figure out why some objects won't weld/combine correctly rather than clicking your mouse, literally, an extra 7 times to convert a troublesome vector to bitmap and back? Granted if this is going to be 8' tall and 12' wide and be there for 5+ years then it should be done right, but if I'm doing a few one-offs for someones back window that's going to be 4" tall and be scraped off in 6 months when it snows, I'll take a few rounded corners on some of the letters and get back to work that pays the bills.

kheebl

So you'd rather spend an extra 2, 3, 5, 10 or whatever minutes trying to figure out why some objects won't weld/combine correctly rather than clicking your mouse, literally, an extra 7 times to convert a troublesome vector to bitmap and back? Granted if this is going to be 8' tall and 12' wide and be there for 5+ years then it should be done right, but if I'm doing a few one-offs for someones back window that's going to be 4" tall and be scraped off in 6 months when it snows, I'll take a few rounded corners on some of the letters and get back to work that pays the bills.

I do the same thing