• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wet Application - Getting Bubbles!!!!!

Sven

I have a 2'x3' piece of aluminum. I attempt to cover it in a solid piece of vinyl for a background color. I spray down the aluminum and vinyl with rapid tac II, lay the vinyl over the aluminum and start squeegeeing the water out with a felt covered 7in squeegee. TONS OF BUBBLES. Any advice is appreciated. I have tried wet application many times over the years and have never gotten it to work. I would love to get this method to work as it seems it would be less tedious that regular transfer-tape, hinge, squeegee method...

Moze

Unless you're applying frosted/dusted/crystal, I think it's easier to apply dry.

graphix45

It sounds like you may not have it wet enough. I don't really like wet application for a background that I have to apply cut vinyl over top of. It takes too long to dry and if I rush it, I usually mess it up.

Speedsterbeast

If you are laying the whole piece flat on the substrate and then trying to squeegee on, most likely +1 for not enough fluid, or you're not moving from the center out.
After you lay it doen, pick up one edge, peel it backand work from the opposite edge onward

TDFcustomSL

Why couldn't you paint the aluminum? Or have a body shop paint it for you for probably what its cost you in material trying to cover it?

DizzyMarkus

I wet apply also -- 99% of those are fluid trapped under the vinyl from not using the squeegie in the right motions to get it out. You will be suprised at how many dry out -- but you dont want to wait a few days to apply the rest :0) Laminator? run 'er through that :thumb: Big Squeegie here also

Markus

DizzyMarkus

I do on large surface areas and smooooooth surfaces ;0) Started that way and ---well it has just stayed that way -- I do dry also.

rjssigns

Dry with small overlapping squeegee strokes. I've done large double layer graphics on glass like that, but it takes some time. Key is to lay down 1/8" to 1/4" of material at a time.

Jillbeans

I agree that painting is the best way.
Also, Rapid Tac 2 is for glass and cold temp apps.
Try regular Rapid Tac and flood the hell out of both the surface and the back of the vinyl.
Love....jill

ironchef

I would do it dry on laminator, also the felt your using might be too thick to let enough pressure thru. Try a different material insteadnof felt or a thin felt one like the avery ones