• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question What 3D software would you recommend?

I'm looking to get a 3d program that would be beneficial when designing signs and dimensional mockups to send customers. Does anyone use 3d software or would it be overkill? If so, any recommendations on what would be affordable and still a useful tool?

shoresigns

You might not need dedicated 3D software—Illustrator and Photoshop both have 3D tools built in.

We use Illustrator if we want an isometric 3D vector drawing of a dimensional sign and Photoshop if we want it mocked up on a photo.

Andy_warp

We use Rhino. A bit of a learning curve, but it has some great tools. I use it to develop curved surfaces, and unwrap them for art templating.
It plays nice with Illustrator, many cad programs don't. Great support...a TON of free plugins.
I had some 3d cad experience before I started using it, but there are a lot of tutorials included, and on the internet.

If you look at it...I'd hold off for Rhino 6...which is coming. Another bonus is they have a MAC version (although I prefer the Windows version's interface.)
Also grasshopper is now included, and is extremely powerful. Parametric modeling is awesome!

Cheap compared to Autocad/Solidworks/etc.

Andy_warp

We use Rhino. A bit of a learning curve, but it has some great tools. I use it to develop curved surfaces, and unwrap them for art templating.
It plays nice with Illustrator, many cad programs don't. Great support...a TON of free plugins.
I had some 3d cad experience before I started using it, but there are a lot of tutorials included, and on the internet.

If you look at it...I'd hold off for Rhino 6...which is coming. Another bonus is they have a MAC version (although I prefer the Windows version's interface.)
Also grasshopper is now included, and is extremely powerful. Parametric modeling is awesome!

Cheap compared to Autocad/Solidworks/etc.

Attachments

• rhino.jpg
    rhino.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 143

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
-- Are you working for someone?
-- If you are, what type of work do you want to do?

It's not overkill if the signs you were doing were highly dimensional and you are getting paid for it, though most things I need can be done in Illustrator

In my opinion, if I were working for someone, I would choose a software that would be east to replace you on, AND help you on your career journey...

When I see 3D skills wanted in signage/environments, it's almost always:

--- Sketch-Up
-- Revit
-Solidworks
Rhino

Andy_warp

Sweet, thank you! I have no CAD experience so I'm definitely expecting a learning curve
If you have strong Illustrator skills, mainly in vector manipulation/boolean...pathfinder type stuff, you should be pretty good. I am of the opinion that graphics people should learn cad and drafters should learn Illustrator. When I got into this in the late 90's I saw there was always a graphics to cad disconnect among professionals.

I vowed to learn both. Illustrator was mainly through projects and tutorials, for the cad I took a 40 hour basic cad class at a tech school. Fell in love with it, and haven't looked back.
The accuracy and scale with cad is what hooked me. I already had quite a bit of Illustrator skill, but I needed instruction to bridge the gap. Picked it up nearly right away.
You can do a lot of the same stuff...it's just how you get there. Cad can let you be super efficient with it's tools. I've found even when I take on a graphic layout project, I use a lot of the tools in cad first...to get at the maths. Then Illustrator to put the lipstick on. The cool thing about 3d is, once you learn one flavor, you can do pretty much all of the same functions across the board.

I've used Cinema4D also. It's more of a mesh modeler, which won't serve you well for what you are doing.
Other mesh modelers are 3d Studio Max and Maya. These are for modeling and animation, and wont have the tools you need to build real world stuff.

Stick to a cad based 3d software. I've used Autocadd/Vectorworks and now Rhino. Rhino is my favorite by far!