• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what auses markings in printed banners?

gabagoo

I purchased this new material from a banner supplier a few weeks back and it is almost like a plastic. It is supposed to be non curling and good for banner stands. I printed 4 banners last week and it prints exceptionally well although I have to admit it is quite difficult to cut up afterwards as it does not have the softness of regular banner material. In any case I printed to retractables Saturday morning and they have sat on the roll until today. I unrolled the second one and it looks perfect. The first one has some strange markings through the print in one area and almost looks like it got rubbed by something. It's garbage now but I know it was not wet when it rolled up and I even had an extra fan in front of the printer to increase the drying speed. I curled back the banner and looked at the underside and I can see the ink transfered to the back side I guess as it rolled up. I can only think there must have been some form of contaminate on the back of the banner that could have made that occur. It is only in about a 16" area on one side. What a pissoff as they were due today. What options do we really have on things like this when it happens? I naturally left them on the roll for protection and to outgas until they were ready to be fabricated. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
One option is to get the new Latex printer so you never have to wait for outgassing, besides that though you may just have to keep trying different materials until you figure out a viable solution.

Mosh

We hang everything up to out-gass. I guess I was always scared something like this would happen. We let banners sit at least overnight before hemming (if we can wait that long)

gabagoo

sorry for my spelling errors, it seems my laptop keyboard sometimes does not register keystrokes when I type fast