• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What computer do you run Corel on

Shadowglen

OK so after reading the thread about Corel X7 and making a few snarky comments. I started thinking Maybe some of my Corel crashes were more hardware than software. I am currently running a:

HP Compaq Elete 8300cmt
intell core i7-3770 cpu 3.4 Ghz
16 gig of RAM
64 bit operating system.

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1696 mb

This computer is less than a year old I do most of my designing/ editing on this but I also run my Quick books in the background along with outlook and sometimes a web page open in the background. In the past I have shut all of the other programs down and rebooted and still experienced the corel crashes with only corel running. crashes occur in auto trace a lot but randomly crashes while just drawing. I am starting to wonder if my graphics card is lacking.

So I thought this appropriate to the Corel forum but if this is better suited for a different area or if this has been touched on please redirect.

Thanks Dave

graphicwarning

I wouldn't say this is the culprit all the time, but importing previous workspaces will lead to crashes more often than not. Time and time again I see it recommended in the Corel forums not to do this... start from scratch on a clean install.

I hear people all the time talking about random crashes etc.. I too used to have frequent crashes with Corel years ago because every time a new version would come out, or I'd re-install... the first thing I'd do is re-import my workspaces. Once I gave up this practice, it doesn't crash. Speaking in terms of X6 because this is the most recent version I have been using (except now I have moved to X7)... I honestly cannot think of a time I have experienced a crash, corrupt file etc. It just doesn't happen to me... maybe I'm lucky?

As far as a machine... you've got plenty of resources available to run Corel. I primarily run Corel on my Macbook with Win 7 in VMWare... however, my rip machine is an old old Dell. It's probably 8 to 10 years old and I recently installed a Solid State drive and Win 7... Versaworks, Corel X6 and Quickbooks Pro 2012(yes... I know QB shouldn't be on a RIP machine). It's only got 4Gb of RAM and the thing runs like a top... no issues with Corel, and believe it or not, versaworks rips pretty fast on that old machine.

graphios

i used to have a lot of crashes also until i changed my computer configuration to intel parts: intel motherboard, intel memory, intel SSD, obviously the CPU its intel :p.
since then my computer runs like a pro...im running ripping software, like 4 instances of 3ds max, photoshop, illustrator, corel chrome, firefox and a bunch more (the task bar its stuck with items that i even forget to close and they stay there for weeks).
Get 64GB ram, SSD for main drive, intel parts the high end ones and i can guarantee u wont have a problem ever again.

Shadowglen

I have never imported old work spaces. Always have started fresh. another strange thing that happens in Photopaint when I resample an image and make it larger for say a banner it shows a blank screen. I zoom in and out and then can see the zoomed in portion but to try and see the whole image by zooming out the page shows blank again. I thought this was a memory or video issue but it happens on my design machine and my rip machine. My rip machine is identicle to my design machine in my office with the same specs in the OP. except rip machine has just Corel, and versaworks on it.

Techman

these days,,
Nealy all crashes of software is caused by third party elements.
Utilities, plugins, specialized work spaces are headaches for good software.

Blaming the suite for crashes is the usual reaction when it is actually something else.
Yes, there are always tweaks to be installed to fix some obscure point with some offbeat system. Also, many companies release a software package with a few oddities and then patch it on purpose. This gives unauthorized users something to fret about.

Furthermore, Intel cpu chips are better at handling CAD type calculations these days.
AMD is a fine chip when used for general office usage. Sign work needs Intel.
Intel took the lead two cycles ago and AMD will never catch up. The I7 chips are as good as it gets.

OldPaint

ive run corel on AMD based machines since they came on the market. running AMD or INTEL processor has no bearing on crashes of any programs.
the is a little program that most of you never look at on most windows OS system called WINDOWS TASK MANAGER. tells you the applications you got running, what precesses are being run, and PERFORMANCE.........this will give you an idea of how much computer resources you are using at any given time.
hold down the CTRL, ALT and hit delete and a little window will open and pick TASK MANAGER............
right now iam running corel X3 ON AN AMD 2.8 gig quad core, 2 gigs a ram, sound card and VIDEO integrated on the M/B............. and never have a problem.

Mike001

hold down the CTRL, ALT and hit delete and a little window will open and pick TASK MANAGER............
That should be SHIFT + CNTRL + ESC, opens the task manager directly.

I run corel X6 on an 8 core AMD with 16 gig ram and SSD. Runs fast and smooth.
My ripping machine is only a dual core Intel with 8 gigs ram (need to upgrade) that also runs corel X6.
Computers are in different rooms.

Both machines do what they are meant to with corel, with very few crashes...

Techman

ive run corel on AMD based machines since they came on the market. running AMD or INTEL processor has no bearing on crashes of any programs.
may not have a bearing on general crashes but it will have a bearing on how well the work is rendered.

If there is just one over run the FPU a crash will result. INTEL is king now and there is nothing AMD can do about it.

That is why CAD offices and engineering firms spec INTEL chips now.

OldPaint

well the mac people would tell ya different....you prefer INTEL... i prefer AMD....they have always worked well for me....i dont the need for all the extra money on so called speed that you cant see.......

Joe Diaz

We have various Dells and a custom built machine here at work running CorelDRAW with rarely any issues. I've bogged it down by having 18 different files open and too much going on. I do that all the time, but I know that's computer related because when I upgrade to a more powerful computer I experience those issues less than I did with the older computer, and I see the same thing with other software even thought I push DRAW harder and ask more of it than anything else I have installed. But I'll soon find a way to push my current computer to it's limits. I did notice a huge difference when we upgraded to X6 too, and I think that has a lot to do with the 64bit support. So far X7 seems just as fast if not faster. It sure as hell installed way faster. I don't know what that's about, but it took X6 forever and a day to install.

My main workstation has:
Intel Core i7-4770 @3.4GHz
16 GB Ram
64bit Windows 7 Pro
and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

At home I have a Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook with:
Intel Core i5 3317U @1.7Ghz
8 GB Ram
Windows 8 64bit
and Intel HD Graphics 4000

Obviously the workstation is faster at doing certain things, but they both run DRAW pretty darn well.

WildWestDesigns

My main computer I'm running:

Windows 7 64bit
Intel i5-2500 3.30GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

Also running:

Cintiq Companion
Win 8 Pro
Intel i7-3517U 1.9 GHZ
8GB RAM

No problems on either platform.

Techman

I run Corel draw on a win 7 on an Intel I7 2600K with SSD drives 8 gigs of ram.
It opens as fast as a mouse click. I have never had a crash. Its been so long that I cannot remember ever having a corel crash. Or any crash of any software with the exception of the notorious Sony software for my vid cam.

My lappy is a DELL I7 with a hybrid drive and corel and all the other CAD CAM 3D stuff I use runs perfect on that one as well.

I do not use Mfafee, Norton, AVG or any other main line virus deflector suites. All of those are notorious for causing pain for most users.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
My current work computer, bought Nov. 2012:
Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition
Win 8 Professional 64-bit
Intel Corel i7-3770 quad core 3.4GHz
2TB 7200rpm SATA 6 Gb/s Hard Disc
with Intel SRT 32GB Solid State Hard Disc
24GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM RAM
Blu-ray BD-RW Drive
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 1.5GB GDDR5 SDRAM
Samsung 27" and 20" LCD monitors attached

CorelDRAW X6 usually runs fine on this computer, aside from a couple strange bugs. I've griped in this forum about X6 not being able to align nodes in controlled fashion like it did previous for many versions. Full out crashes rarely ever happen. Sometimes Corel will momentarily hang for a few seconds when closing files. If I open old CorelDRAW files saved in version 9 and the old file uses a certain font (in this case Abadi Condensed Light) it will uninstall the copy of Abadi Condensed Light I have on my new computer. I have to reboot to get the font to come back. It's annoying but not too big a deal since this computer reboots very fast.

I run Corel X5 on my home notebook computer, a Dell XPS 15 equipped with a Core i7 quad core CPU. It has 8GB of RAM, a 2GB video card, a Blu-ray burner, RGB LED backlit 1080p display. It's running Win 7 Ultimate, not Win 8. The only issue I have with Corel on that machine is that odd font problem with Abadi Condensed Light.