• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you think of this??

rfulford

I read the article about the 3D printed gun earlier. It is interesting that you lumped subscription based cloud software into the same post as a 3D printed weapon. If we move forward to commercial 3D printing, how long will it before the software becomes cloud based? There will come a time when we will be purchasing models from Pottery Barn or Ikea to be compiled on our household units but who would want to pay for a pair of chop sticks or a butter knife? I think now, the rules have changed and it will not be long before 3D printers and their software become regulated. The worst part is that we will ask for it because we do not want our kids compiling knives, polymer knuckles guns or whatever. Shortly after that, we may be paying for the rights to every model we compile or submitting every model we make for approval.

WildWestDesigns

How do you feel about never owning your software?

Actually we never did own the software in either situation. Both are licensed. We have more freedom with a perpetual license versus a cloud license in a sense, but we don't own either. At least not legally, although I know that's a contentious point for a few people on here.

Salmoneye

Surely an ignorant question but what do you do with cloud software when you need to work without an internet connection? Can I still use it on my laptop when traveling, in the mountains, out of country...?

WildWestDesigns

Surely an ignorant question but what do you do with cloud software when you need to work without an internet connection? Can I still use it on my laptop when traveling, in the mountains, out of country...?

As far as Adobe is concerned, everything is still installed locally, it only requires an internet connection once a month to make sure about subscription status. So to me, it's not true cloud based computing, that would require that the main program is not installed locally and you use a web browser of some type as the main interface.

Which to me, eliminates one of the biggest conveniences of cloud based computing. Now, I understand why it's done that way, and I don't disagree with that on one level, however, it's hard to hock the convenience of a subscription based program when "you" have lost the biggest convenience that there is with it.