• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is wrong with this pdf...........................................................................

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
For a 2.3MB PDF I expected to see something more complicated. I placed it in Adobe Illustrator, did the Flatten Transparency trick to convert the fonts to outlines. I also ran it through Vector First Aid to delete any unnecessary clipping masks or groups and fix small issues with anchor points. Saved the results in PDF (with Illustrator Editing preserved). The file is around 360kb.

This is one of the few Canva-flavored PDF files I've imported into Illustrator that wasn't a big headache. But that's only because the artwork was just a couple or so lines of active text.

Attachments

• FINAL APPROVED GRAPHIC 2.pdf
    365.8 KB · Views: 90

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
For a 2.3MB PDF I expected to see something more complicated. I placed it in Adobe Illustrator, did the Flatten Transparency trick to convert the fonts to outlines. I also ran it through Vector First Aid to delete any unnecessary clipping masks or groups and fix small issues with anchor points. Saved the results in PDF (with Illustrator Editing preserved). The file is around 360kb.

This is one of the few Canva-flavored PDF files I've imported into Illustrator that wasn't a big headache. But that's only because the artwork was just a couple or so lines of active text.
Show off. :rolleyes:

jochwat

Graphics Department
The Canva-type scourge is only going to get worse. I just received a file that was made with "Kittl". Yep, that's right: KITTL. And the free version (which is what most of these new-fangled professional designers will opt for) allows a generous export of a bitmap image, up to 800 pixels wide. Which is about what I received. For a banner. And a feather flag.

And I did mention it's going to get worse:

1694101871083.png

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Used a combination of illustrator and X7. Crashed corel a few times. Opened in illy & deleted the clipping masks (taking note of the size first), outlined the fonts then united all the text. Saving as as "stripped & fixed" pdf, imported to corel, added the rectangle shape then save as pdf. 10 KB!
All kinds of ways to "get there from here" but should be passed back the 3rd party. Deal with it all day long. Even from a graphic designer working for a local college.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
The flip side of these b*lloxed applications, is that sometimes the customer gets a design that they are pleased with.
If we can find a way to relatively rapidly unbreak the file, then we appear to be wizards, unlike that company the customer went to first, who wanted to charge a fortune to remake their design.

New set of google adwords along the line of We can make your widget using any of the 10 Best Canva Alternatifes For Graphic Design.. Customer clicks through from this link and is brought through to the prices you'd normally charge, but with a $50 uplift.
If you don't have prices online, then as soon as you look at the properties of the file, the quote gets a $XY uplift.

Flip side of this is that you'll need to employ a young person to keep track of all this rubbish, and find workarounds.

Humble PM

If ya don't like it, roll over and make room for progress. :supersmilie:
MISTER PROSSER:
Come off it Mister Dent you can’t win you know! Look, there’s no point in lying down in the path of progress!

ARTHUR DENT:
I’ve gone off the idea of progress. It’s overrated

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, you lay down here, while I go to the pub and freshen up a tad.

Did you go from riding a bicycle to driving an automobile of some sorts ??
Do you use bartering or have you moved up to normal currency ??
Do you still pick your crops by hand or do you have big machines to do it ??
Do you trade in your brushes to make signs or did you spend thousands & thousands of dollar to keep up ??

Ya might not like it, but ya either embrace it or roll over and die.

Humble PM

I still hate the dumbing down democratisation of design software, and the Ark Ship B marketing muppets.

But yes, if this is what the customer is presenting to us, then we have to evolve, if that fits our market.

Johnny Best

Yeah, you lay down here, while I go to the pub and freshen up a tad.

Did you go from riding a bicycle to driving an automobile of some sorts ??
Do you use bartering or have you moved up to normal currency ??
Do you still pick your crops by hand or do you have big machines to do it ??
Do you trade in your brushes to make signs or did you spend thousands & thousands of dollar to keep up ??

Ya might not like it, but ya either embrace it or roll over and die.
Said the priest to the young alterboy.