• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is your mark up?

Angela

I had a potential customer come in today and ask how much for 100 postcards. I gave her my pricing, which I think is fair. She told me about another quote she received for 100 postcards and it was half the cost of mine. I have been on 4over seeing what I can do to get my price down to theirs, and I really can't. I wonder if they are going to Vista and then charging people for it? I know they are not printing in house.

My question is how do others mark up their out sourced printing?
Any advice would be appreciated.:help

TheSnowman

I at least double mine if I'm subbing it, unless it's something that I sub a TON of, or business cards. I charge what business cards used to be worth before Vista attacked the world. I double the other stuff at least so that if I biff up, I'm not out any money, just my time. I've never biffed...but it'd be bad to lose time AND money on something that I'm not doing in house.

HulkSmash

I had a potential customer come in today and ask how much for 100 postcards. I gave her my pricing, which I think is fair. She told me about another quote she received for 100 postcards and it was half the cost of mine. I have been on 4over seeing what I can do to get my price down to theirs, and I really can't. I wonder if they are going to Vista and then charging people for it? I know they are not printing in house.

My question is how do others mark up their out sourced printing?
Any advice would be appreciated.:help

When customers tell me that, i tell them - "looks like you have a good deal with them, good luck"

100 postcards? you can't even make money on that.

SignManiac

Generally not a good idea to chase after the low ballers price. They should not be setting your prices. Just have to accept that somebody will always lose money on work. Just make sure it's not you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have different mark ups for different things.

When subbing out, we take into consideration what our local marketplace will bear and if we can't make money on it and someone has a comeback like your customer did.... I look them straight in the eye and say.... I can't even get my materials for that. Ya better go with them while they're still in business.

I don't know your business or what you do for the main part of it, but I can't imagine anyone getting upset over losing about a $60. or so bid ??

Don't sweat these little things.... there's always gonna be someone who can beat you out. The real trick is to find better clients that want the good stuff. Rely on quality, superb craftsmanship and competitive pricing......... and you'll go far.

Tim Aucoin

1.75 to 2.0 mark-up on all outsourced products. I use trade-only sources and I periodically keep my trade suppliers "honest" by making sure they are selling to trade only! Vista does not worry me in the slightest. Have I lost business to Vista... YES! Does it bother me... NO! They obviously know what they're doing and more power to them! I wish them success as I do any legitimate business! :thumb:

mark galoob

if your trying to outsource 100 postcards, your prob competing with a copy shop...trust me, you wont beat their price for 100 postcards...then again, their prob not going to print that on a 16pt paper w/ uv gloss and full bleed...

just fyi, i have a print/copy shop, and 100 post cards is WAY below my min. but staples, office depot etc will all do it...

mark galoob

Bly

Outsourcing hasn't really worked for me in the past so I really don't these days.
As for customers coming back with a ridiculous price to beat - the last time I replied "I hope you get what you pay for".

royster13

I know what the market will bear for what ever I am quoting on.....And for certain items I just tell them I will not quote....I pick my battles and try not to be everything to everyone.....

Craig Sjoquist

If I already gave them a price that is fair on what ever maybe even a good deal price
...And they tell me they can get it cheaper or my price is to high or can I give them a better deal....
Say excuse me I meant to say (counter act with a higher price) this will call there bluff and then they want the old price which you can stall on before you agree maybe even up sale them on other advertising.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Everything that comes into this shop, including jobbed out printing or anything else and all materials specific for a job like substrates and special media, are marked up 100%. No exceptions.

GypsyGraphics

I have been on 4over seeing what I can do to get my price down to theirs, and I really can't. I wonder if they are going to Vista and then charging people for it? I know they are not printing in house.

NO, they're not using Vista and YES, they printing in house.

Until you're printing huge gang runs, you'll never be able to compete on price with the likes of 4 Over, or even the worst of the worst... Vista.