• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what is your shop warranty for vehicle lettering?

LMSigns24

I was using oracals 5600 reflective series for police cars for years. I was finding after 2 or 3 years vinyl turning black especially on 1 side. Anyone have this issue?? Seems to be the Sun since is bad on 1 side. They park there vehicles same direction every day. I have switched over to 3M and havent seen this issue yet. I just got a vehicle back after 6 years that entire passenger side needs to be redone. What is your warranty?? i have been replacing stuff for free here and there, but this is a much larger area to replace for free.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
All vehicles get a standard 5/50 warranty. Five minutes or 50mph, whichever occurs first.

TXFB.INS

we have a 1 year warranty on craftsmanship.
regarding the warranty we follow the materials listed warranty

RARELY DO WE REPLACE FOR FREE

sardocs

At my last shop I had a warranty line painted across the front end of my driveway. Once they cross that line the warranty has expired.

reQ

Can't give warranty on vinyl like that. If it goes to crap, thats not your problem, all you can do is to address it to the manufacturer. As for installation - it depends on jobs, but on average i would give up to a year warranty against peeling etc., specially on wraps. Did not have to redo any of them... yet. "knocks on wood"

ams

I don't give warranties on vehicles because each vehicle is different and has it's own problems. Some are rusted and old, some have powder paint (years after it was painted it turns to like a powder, nothing sticks to it), some are heavy waxed, some have nicks, bumps, damages, etc, some have clear coat issues, etc.

I just had a customer come in yesterday to bring back vinyl. He was pissed because it wouldn't stick to his truck, he did the install himself. I looked at the back of the vinyl and it's covered in dirt and crap, like mud. Meaning he didn't clean the vehicle properly first. He told us that we used cheap vinyl and it's not what he got before. I love how customers think they know more than us.

So anyways, you can warranty certain products but don't warranty everything.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's not a warranty, but I will stand behind our work, so long as I know the vehicle was not abused by them, vandals or weather for up to a year for anyone. Regular repeat customers, maybe 2 years. It rarely happens, but occasionally it will. Sh!t happens.

As for lettering rusty cars, oxidized paint and other ridiculous situations, that's on you for lettering such a poorly prepped vehicle. Why, on God's Green Earth, would you letter overtop of such conditions ?? :covereyes:

letterman7

Just had this conversation yesterday with a customer. 30 minutes or 30 miles, whichever comes first. Most people understand you can't cover "road hazard" - nicks, scrapes etc. Vinyl failure is something else altogether.. normally if I have a vinyl fail on a good customer (like the local PD) within the year I'll cover it. After six years, no, all bets are off. Reflective seems to have a shorter life span than most, and you can't help how the cars are taken care of.

ams

It's not a warranty, but I will stand behind our work, so long as I know the vehicle was not abused by them, vandals or weather for up to a year for anyone. Regular repeat customers, maybe 2 years. It rarely happens, but occasionally it will. Sh!t happens.

As for lettering rusty cars, oxidized paint and other ridiculous situations, that's on you for lettering such a poorly prepped vehicle. Why, on God's Green Earth, would you letter overtop of such conditions ?? :covereyes:

I usually don't, I try my hardest to get the customer to repaint the vehicle or fix it, the best I can do is use a half dozen chemicals and clean it 3 times before applying. I never apply vinyl to rust, just talking about old vehicles in general.

I had one guy bring a large box truck that was fully oxidized and I told him to go to the next sign shop down the road, won't do it.
He asked how much to paint it, I said well we aren't a paint shop but could do a fair job, it'd be able $3,000. He was like, can you just roll it on for a couple hundred?

So after awhile he dedicated he would take it to a paint shop, so asked how much for the signs, so basically almost a fully wrapped truck on the sides, normally a $3,000 - $4,000 job, I told him $2,000 and he said that was too expensive for him, he was looking for $500 - $700. So naturally I kicked him out to go find a sucker.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I usually don't, I try my hardest to get the customer to repaint the vehicle or fix it, the best I can do is use a half dozen chemicals and clean it 3 times before applying. I never apply vinyl to rust, just talking about old vehicles in general.

I had one guy bring a large box truck that was fully oxidized and I told him to go to the next sign shop down the road, won't do it.
He asked how much to paint it, I said well we aren't a paint shop but could do a fair job, it'd be able $3,000. He was like, can you just roll it on for a couple hundred?

So after awhile he dedicated he would take it to a paint shop, so asked how much for the signs, so basically almost a fully wrapped truck on the sides, normally a $3,000 - $4,000 job, I told him $2,000 and he said that was too expensive for him, he was looking for $500 - $700. So naturally I kicked him out to go find a sucker.

You didn't say any of that the first time, did you ?? You wanted everyone to think something entirely different. Well, for that matter, I don't believe what you wrote the second time, either. I think you make this sh!t up as you go. You have no rhyme or reason to anything you write, ever. You change horses in the middle of the stream from thread to thread. You show no continuity whatsoever. I've done literally 1,000's upon 1,000's of trucsk in my lifetime and can't remember having as many narrowing escapes in all that time, that you've had in 5 or 10 years. Not just vehicles, but your sign work, too. Are you a magnet for disasters ?? With all the disasters you say you've had..... how on earth have you stayed in business ??

ams

You didn't say any of that the first time, did you ?? You wanted everyone to think something entirely different. Well, for that matter, I don't believe what you wrote the second time, either. I think you make this sh!t up as you go. You have no rhyme or reason to anything you write, ever. You change horses in the middle of the stream from thread to thread. You show no continuity whatsoever. I've done literally 1,000's upon 1,000's of trucsk in my lifetime and can't remember having as many narrowing escapes in all that time, that you've had in 5 or 10 years. Not just vehicles, but your sign work, too. Are you a magnet for disasters ?? With all the disasters you say you've had..... how on earth have you stayed in business ??

Shut up Gino you are a pain in the ***. Nothing in my message said I put it on rust or oxidized surfaces.

2B

we have a 1 year warranty on craftsmanship.
regarding the warranty we follow the materials listed warranty

RARELY DO WE REPLACE FOR FREE

and now back to the OP and their question.

this and we also include a list of examples not covered in the warranty, slight fading, damages (doors, branches, scratches, etc...) abuse / misuse.
Also include a suggested cleaning / care method

asd

soooo, most of you don't stand behind your work, I do warranty my work on vehicles for up to a year and a half under normal use. why do i do this? because I know that the materials being use are meant to be use on vehicles I also want my customers to keep coming back and I will have to replace the vinyl a least 3 times before I start to lose money on the that job --I can always buy vinyl, but I can't never buy a customer trust or loyalty with cheap materials--

S'N'S

Back to the OP.....Did you apply the Reflective vinyl wet or dry install?
Wet installs can turn some Reflectives Black/discolored and most say dry install only.

ams

soooo, most of you don't stand behind your work, I do warranty my work on vehicles for up to a year and a half under normal use. why do i do this? because I know that the materials being use are meant to be use on vehicles I also want my customers to keep coming back and I will have to replace the vinyl a least 3 times before I start to lose money on the that job --I can always buy vinyl, but I can't never buy a customer trust or loyalty with cheap materials--

So you say to your customer "I am willing you an 18 month warranty" or does every single one of your customers ask what your warranty is?
Once it's out of your shop, they can abuse it and get a freebie if you have a warranty. What if someone power washes it and it happens to peel off?
If the customer didn't tell you, there would be no way of knowing what happened. How about mud bogging with jeeps?

You aren't cheating the customer at all, you can do a case by case review. Instead of saying no matter what happens, I will redo it free of charge.

You say cheap materials, but warranty doesn't make your materials better, it's a service not a product. I put high grade cast 10 year vinyl with cast 8 year laminate on my wraps
but I don't give a warranty, however I will redo it if something was my fault, but that doesn't mean it's cheap materials.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, I guess the mindset is basically, if you buy lettering of any sorts from a sign shop...... 'Buyer Beware'.

However, these same people who complain as soon as there is a fly, bad odor or splice in something are bad mouthing the people who supplied them with the faulty product. A machine is malfunctioning, due to user incompetence or failure to know anything about what they are doing.... is someone else's fault and someone is gonna pay for your inconvenience.
But, application error is not their fault.

• Does it depend upon who is making or doing the faulty work ??
  • Is it a mere whose pocket is being affected ??
  • Is it just plain ignorance ??
  • Oris it just some people cannot stayed focused ??

People, go back and read some of the threads in this place and take a look at the biggest whiners on the planet..... next to the transgender problem. :rolleyes:

asd

So you say to your customer "I am willing you an 18 month warranty" or does every single one of your customers ask what your warranty is?
Once it's out of your shop, they can abuse it and get a freebie if you have a warranty. What if someone power washes it and it happens to peel off?
If the customer didn't tell you, there would be no way of knowing what happened. How about mud bogging with jeeps?

You aren't cheating the customer at all, you can do a case by case review. Instead of saying no matter what happens, I will redo it free of charge.

You say cheap materials, but warranty doesn't make your materials better, it's a service not a product. I put high grade cast 10 year vinyl with cast 8 year laminate on my wraps
but I don't give a warranty, however I will redo it if something was my fault, but that doesn't mean it's cheap materials.

Yes, I warranty my work and materials for 18 months, its easy to tell when a power washer is use to wash a vehicle its also easy to tell when the materials being use to make the decals are of inferior quality. in the last 36 months I have replace one customer decals because somebody sold me the wrong vinyl when my printed was down. and if my customers ask what is my warranty I will them 18 months under normal use.

decalman

I disclose to people what the vinyl is rated at. If something goes wrong with it, well I didn't manufacture it. I can't take responsibility for it, I then explain to them that If it goes bad after a very short time, I will make some kind of fair arrangement with them. Maybe split the loss or something.

sardocs

Most folks got a laugh from it. It was in the days before computers when everything was hand done or screened. I put it there as a joke but it did get the issue out in the open conversation. I have always stood by my work and used the best materials I could obtain.