• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question what manual cutter do i want?

netsol

doing a job with about 500 signs on heavy glossy photo paper
I AM LEFT HANDED, so when i use the roto trimmer, i work from the other side than donald does.
i am sure that is part of the problem, but, this type of trimming seems to be one of those things that I REALLY SUCK AT

i am not cheap (YES I AM, but that's beside the point) and i would buy an additional cutter, but i am not sure what i want

besides this no name roto trimmer, we have a chinese 24"
2 large guillotine cutters 34" and 48" table mounted,
fletcher 3100, fletcher 2100 (i thnik) fletcher 100" and a matte cutter & stack cutter

MAYBE IT'S JUST that i suck at day to day tasks, but i blame it on the fact that i am looking at the guide on rototrimmer from the wrong side

ANY INPUT from possibly left handed people?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm kind of a lefty (more ambidextrous, really, but some things are just easier left-handed). I always thought using a rotary cutter was easy enough- I just flipped it around and went through the opposite way every one else did.
That said, I've just always adapted to doing some things with my right hand. I'm so used to it, someone handed me left handed scissors and it took me a second to figure out why they were so awkward in my right hand.
A quick Google search didn't return any results for left-handed guillotine style cutter. Best of luck.

netsol

doing a job with about 500 signs on heavy glossy photo paper
I AM LEFT HANDED, so when i use the roto trimmer, i work from the other side than donald does.
i am sure that is part of the problem, but, this type of trimming seems to be one of those things that I REALLY SUCK AT

i am not cheap (YES I AM, but that's beside the point) and i would buy an additional cutter, but i am not sure what i want

besides this no name roto trimmer, we have a chinese 24"
2 large guillotine cutters 34" and 48" table mounted,
fletcher 3100, fletcher 2100 (i thnik) fletcher 100" and a matte cutter & stack cutter

MAYBE IT'S JUST that i suck at day to day tasks, but i blame it on the fact that i am looking at the guide on rototrimmer from the wrong side

ANY INPUT from possibly left handed people?
i forgot the image

Attachments

• rototrim1.jpg
    rototrim1.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 92

netsol

story of y life
when a left handed person uses a circular saw the llittle safety switch i on entirely the wrong side

it's a miracle we don't all have 8 fingers

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
story of y life
when a left handed person uses a circular saw the llittle safety switch i on entirely the wrong side

it's a miracle we don't all have 8 fingers
Worm gear saws are reversed, a bit awkward for a righty but probably right up your alley.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Rotatrim technical. The clamping strip is raised when the cutting head gets to either end of the rail. Not cheap, but lasts forever, and when you break something, they have spares for all parts.

Or go for a power cut

Just had a quick play with an old Rotatrim - I feed and cut both ways, both L or R handed.

netsol

i would have guessed that half of you would have been left handed.
a whole different thread to start (i probably have in the past)
over the years i hired about 20 technicians. 16 of them were left handed (remember that left brain/right brain thing?)

my partner used to say, don't even ask for interview, just throw a tennis ball in the air and see which hand they catch it with

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you were Lassie of Flipper, then you'd be in another heapa trouble. Animal cruelty is a tough one to beat.

netsol

Rotatrim technical. The clamping strip is raised when the cutting head gets to either end of the rail. Not cheap, but lasts forever, and when you break something, they have spares for all parts.

Or go for a power cut

Just had a quick play with an old Rotatrim - I feed and cut both ways, both L or R handed.
ok, so it's just me

when a piece of equipment breaks, I'M YOUR MAN!
it's the routine tasks around the shop that i suck at

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, it would much more simple..... and less expensive, if you kept your hands off of the higher pay level equipment and let someone qualified do it and you stick to cleaning the toilets and taking out the trash.

Mike Perth

We trimmed wallpapers by hand with a Keencut for 6 years. Business was good so we then printed the wallpapers with Zund marks and ran the rolls to a local sign shop for trimming on their Zund. Business was even better so we purchased a F1612 and bought all the production in house. No more late nights or weekends trimming....most importantly every cut is mm accurate. If we had our time again we’d be outsourcing all the cutting from the start. I haven’t picked up a blade since we’ve had the Summa.
Even left handed work experience kids can use a flatbed cutter.