• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question what material for "across the street" banners

netsol

i am working up proposals for a new customer, including some "across the street banners" like they had last year (?)
printing 54" on our eco solvent rolands, what would be the best material to order?
we have the equipment to finish (banner welder, juki sewing machines, etc) with sufficient strength, as well as bucket truck & scissor lift if we have to install. i just would like to be sure i am producing a decent quality product. in this width, am i printing on a mesh, or just cutting slits, (i have always been of the opinion the slits only determine where the damage STARTS

it seems banners will be going across a business district street, in a town that is limiting traffic, i assume about 35' wide (they haven't provided locations, yet, just a request for a "ballpark price"

MikePro

if damage starts at the slits, it means that the slits are doing their job but you need more of them :)

Billct2

What does the client spec? Around here the towns all have specs. For double sided ones we use 18oz blockout, sewn hems with webbing & re-enforced cornerd and yes they all wanted the dreaded wind slits. Mesh banners are OK for a single side banner for double side I think the ghost looks bad.

LarryB

For liability issues I will not sell a mesh printed banner even if it is finished properly. I have seen during heavy winds it falls down onto incoming traffic. I sell the open net banner which have the graphics sewn into the banner. I get these from Dixie Flag. Have never had issues with them.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You are lucky to have a town that allows "across the street" banners. Best bet (and just about the only way you are going to get a permit) is to use an open-net banner with heavy 200 denier nylon fabric graphic elements stiched onto a heavy duty nylon scrim (net-type material) with 200 denier nylon reinforcement at the edges. The banner will be hung with stainless steel cable running in a pocket the length top and bottom. A 4' x 35' banner like this will cost north of $2k plus installation by an experienced, licensed, and insured sign company.

Keep in mind this type of banner will only read correctly from the front.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
You are lucky to have a town that allows "across the street" banners. Best bet (and just about the only way you are going to get a permit) is to use an open-net banner with heavy 200 denier nylon fabric graphic elements stiched onto a heavy duty nylon scrim (net-type material) with 200 denier nylon reinforcement at the edges. The banner will be hung with stainless steel cable running in a pocket the length top and bottom. A 4' x 35' banner like this will cost north of $2k plus installation by an experienced, licensed, and insured sign company.

Keep in mind this type of banner will only read correctly from the front.
So it's only useful for a one-way street?

netsol

Kcollins, i think you misunderstand.

It is a town that ALLOWS THE TOWN to put up across the street banners

In fact, they can hardly image a limit on their own powers...

It is not that you or i could put up an across the street banner for our own questionable purposes, no matter what

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Kcollins, i think you misunderstand.

It is a town that ALLOWS THE TOWN to put up across the street banners

In fact, they can hardly image a limit on their own powers...

It is not that you or i could put up an across the street banner for our own questionable purposes, no matter what
Ha ha! Actually, the town is subject to the same code requirements as everyone else. Bust them out and see how popular you next time you apply for a permit!